+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Brunswick Tapping 2021

Erob,
    I use the hydrometer. I find even when I calibrate the thermometer on my evaporator, 7 degrees above boiling temp of water is always too thin. I usually end up having to boil it down a bit further to proper density. If I can draw off a little heavy, I won't have to cook it down more. If it's a bit thicker than normal, I'm good with that. Last year it was way too thin off the evaporator at first, so I let it go a bit longer now. I'm hoping for a few more cold nights and a bit more sap. I'm going to bottle what I've drawn off tomorrow. I've kept it in the fridge until I have the time, it's only been this week, so it'll be fine.

I use my smoky lake gold series hydrometer and murphy cup, just make sure the cup is warmed up with syrup several times then take the measurement. Fool proof system, will give you exact readings every time. Wouldn't be without it.
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

Looks like I should invest in a hydrometer for next season. I bought a Dominion and Grimm thermometer from the Co-op for this season but it is clearly not accurate. It was reading 219 F but my syrup was clearly to thin. and watery. You would think Dominion and Grimm would put out a quality product but clearly its cheaply made. Very frustrating. I borrowed my neighbors old thermometer that is very old. Its one of the wooden ones made by D&G and it's right on. Made great syrup with it last night. Unfortunately they are rare now and my neighbor won't part with his spare haha. Seems like there is always something to improve on.
    Maple syrup enthusiast

Once you get a hydrometer, you’ll find that the temperature of when syrup is made varies. We started the season at 218.9 and last batch was 220.1
    305 taps on 2 Shurflo's, 31 taps on 3/16" and 229 taps on gravity. 565 in all
    Mountain Maple S3 controller for 145 of the vacuum taps
    2x6 Darveau Mystique Oil Fired Evaporator w/ Smoky Lake Simplicity Auto Draw
    Wesfab 7” filter press

Just when we thought the season was over, the trees started gushing down here. Most of my cans were full or over flowing. Biggest day of collecting yet. Might me a good yield after all.
    Maple syrup enthusiast

Same down here Erob! It was amazing! My 60 gallon Barrell was full on the tubing and buckets full. Great run finally!! I'm boiling tomorrow. Hope it's another good day tomorrow.

Good stuff Maple Lady! Not living too far from erob, we’re having the same deal here. Today and yesterday, the trees were gushing. I’ve been boiling down most of the afternoon and will continue in the morning.

The trees ran ok today but nothing like yesterday. I boiled everything I had including what got collected today. Long day but I didn't want to risk anything spoiling. I got an RO bucket this year and it was a great help, works amazingly. The only way I can keep up with big sap days with a small 18X36 evaporator. Glad you guys are having a good run too.

Got sap running on the ground now, everything is full. Our 600 & 250 gal milk tanks, 2 plastic totes & 4 blue barrels are all full. Tried giving sap away, but they had lots too. Raining today, so hopefully doesn't run as much & can get ahead of it some. Supposed to cool off tonight, so should be good tomorrow. Looking like some late nights on weekend!
    Murray

Somewhere around 800 - 900 taps on Atlas Copco vacuum
    1 Sap Ladder & 1 can
    2 1/2 x 10 Waterloo/Small, with Piggyback & hood,
    Air over & under fire
    CDL autodrawoff, Homemade drawoff/filter tank with pump,
    Lapierre Sirofilter, modified steam pan bottler

I was wondering how you were doing Murray,lol. Nice to hear the sap tsunami hit up there too. I think I will end up with more than last year now. My only crazy day was Monday then it tapered off. Hoping the weekend will give some more. My shurflo is pulling much better now that there's more sap in the line. Hope all goes well getting it all boiled down.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast