+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How Long Can I store Sap?

Default How Long Can I store Sap?

It looks like we have a great week ahead in Minnesota for collecting sap. I'd like to collect sap this week but then will be away for about 10 days. Can I store the sap that long if kept ice cold? How long can sap be stored? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Sapcat View Post
    It looks like we have a great week ahead in Minnesota for collecting sap. I'd like to collect sap this week but then will be away for about 10 days. Can I store the sap that long if kept ice cold? How long can sap be stored? Thanks!
    I used to store sap during the week and then boil on the weekends. In my opinion, yes....if you keep the sap cold...packed in snow, in the shade....you can pull off 10 days. All depends I guess. Stored for 10 days in an IBC tote in the sun? Not so sure.
    16x24 Timber Frame Sugar House
    Mason 2x4 Evaporator
    90 trees on buckets

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by Sapcat View Post
    Can I store the sap that long if kept ice cold? How long can sap be stored? Thanks!
    Sap is a perishable product. Treat it as you would milk. If you can keep it cold, it might last 10 days. The length of time you can hold it will depend upon how it was when you started and how warm it is in storage. There is no set time period. When you return, stir it and dip something into it and pour it out of the dipper to see if it's turned ropey. If so, dump it. Smell it and (if you dare) taste it. If it is sour, dump it.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Thank you.

I wondered this myself although I've never let it set more than a few days. My gut has always told me a week is too long, but my gut has failed me many times before.

Appreciate the information.
    2020 1st season- 8 gallons of syrup
    2021 2nd season- 11 gallons of syrup
    2022 3rd season 6 gallons of syrup
    2023 4th season- 7 gallons of syrup

+ Reply to Thread