+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Drops

Default Drops

Hello everyone, I have a question about drops. I have read where drops should be replaced every three years for maximum production, however, for some reason or another we end up replacing drops from time to time due to repairs. What is everybodys method for marking replaced drops so that you dont end up replacing a one year old drop when replacing all the old drops in year 3?

I can't answer that as I started replacing all my drops, tees and spiles every year. I only have 150, so not a big expense. Before that I didn't worry about it as it was usually only 2-3 on a lateral, if the lateral was due they all got changed. I would flag the bottom of a lateral when it was due. I only have 6 laterals
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

No answer, I replace a section on schedule, even if some got changed do to damage in between.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

If you’re really concerned about it, you could use different color tubing for the drops from year to year. Blue, green, grey then start over. Like others, we’re on a 4 year cycle and just change everything out.
    305 taps on 2 Shurflo's, 31 taps on 3/16" and 229 taps on gravity. 565 in all
    Mountain Maple S3 controller for 145 of the vacuum taps
    2x6 Darveau Mystique Oil Fired Evaporator w/ Smoky Lake Simplicity Auto Draw
    Wesfab 7” filter press

i tend to try and use different color drops from year to year. however, i also only change them out if they get short and or real dirty. i use check valve spouts for 3 reasons. don't have to replace my drops every 3 years, i get more production, and i can tap below the lateral line without sap returning to the tap hole.!
    Awfully thankful for an understanding wife!

“The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.”
    - Vincent “Vince” Lombardi

Good luck to all!

Replace it anyways and enjoy the extra yields. I come across the same thing and that's how I approach it. Otherwise your going the other way when that drop gets to year 3. Now replace just those few and leave 2 y/o drops....if you think about it a spout is .18 a "t" is .22 and tuning is about 13 cents a foot. So for around .75 your as good as you can get and can expect 100% yield from that tree. That's my take on it
    18x30 sugarshack
    5100 taps high vac
    3x10 inferno with steampan
    7'' wes fab filter press
    10'' cdl air filter press
    D&G 3 post reverse osmosis w/recirculation

Thanks for the input, I probably was over thinking this!

+ Reply to Thread