+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ATMOS 300K or TRANS-O 580 ?

Default ATMOS 300K or TRANS-O 580 ?

Next year I plan to have a small hobby size divided flat pan evaporator (consider 2x3) to replace my current buffet pan system.
    Many posts on this site discuss the need for use of defoamer and the relative ineffectiveness of common household methods compared to engineered products.

As other folks have mentioned in other posts, I watched the video version of a report titled, "Identifying an Effective Defoamer for Certified Organic Maple Production" partially written by Dr Tim from this site.
    Very informative and brings up a lot more questions for someone (me) who is just learning this fancier method of boiling sap.

I'm not looking to be organic, but a family member is terribly impacted by anything gluten, and to a lesser extent dairy products.
    If a defoamer product is made from plants there is a chance it may have gluten involvement and terrible for my family.

I have no experience with either product or the use of defoamer in general.
    Based on what I read on this site plus the forementioned report it seems I should avoid the various kitchen oils because of their being less effective and try either ATMOS 300K or TRANS-O 580.
    ATMOS 300K seems to turn solid very easily in a cold shack environment, and that might not be a good thing when I would need to put a drop into the pan.
    How does TRANS-O 580 behave in a cold environment?
    Will changing from liquid-solid-liquid cause separation of the product, and possibly it's effectiveness?
    Is there anything else that would be a concern with either of these products?

Typing either name for a Google search wasn't very productive.
    Where can a consumer look to purchase either product, and how small of a container is available for the typical backyarder?
    Do these products have a shelf-life once opened, and what about still sealed containers held until next season?
    I can't imagine needing a gallon jug or larger.

I hope to have a float box on the new rig next year.
    Assuming a maple producer wants to add as little "not maple" products as possible to their 100% maple syrup, where should I anticipate adding defoamer for the best results, and how much each time for a small rig?
    Directly into the float box, in the first channel, or where? Will a float box foam over?
    Will these products work well in a suspended cup, which I assume is more for when $h!t happens than as a preventative measure?

Thanks for any suggestions you can provide.
    Last edited by Polish Wizard; 02-25-2021 at 12:37 PM.

Trans o 580 does not solidify in cold weather, but I am fairly certain that a blend of organic plant oils are part of the ingredients

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

I highly suspect your decision will be made as soon as you see the difference in price. Trans-O 580 works well in organic operations where regular organic oils do not function good enough, but it comes at a considerable cost. Atmos works extremely well as a defoamer, is NOT organic, but is inexpensive. I believe CDL is the sole supplier of Trans-O 580.
    Last edited by DrTimPerkins; 02-25-2021 at 02:07 PM.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

I have nothing to add, but every time I see this thread title, I think of a killer Dolby Atmos 300K TV home theater.
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Backyard hobby syrup maker on about 12 trees

PW, I do have my opinion to add, from personal experience. I had a 2 x 3 divided pan and because I ran it to full I never really had that hard of a boil that is achieved when you run with a lessor amount in the pan. Now that I have the newer evaporator and am running it as it is meant to be I understand the need for defoamer.
    1. You always want to be in attendance of your evaporator when first getting the boil going with fresh sap and all the time. 2. foaming can occur in the sap pan or the syrup pan in milliseconds. 3. Have an *oh S**T bucket of sap or water on hand always. 4. I use canola oil for a defoamer and it works well for me a couple of drops kills the foam. I can put in a couple of drops every few minutes if the sap seems to be real foamy or just watch. I use a ketchup bottle like you would use in a restaurant with the long neck.
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

Have you considered Safflower Oil? It can be had as an organic certified product.

Mike
    Tapping since 1985 (four generations back to early to mid 1900s). 200-250 taps on buckets and then tubing in the mid 90s. 2013- 275 taps w/sap puller 25 gal. 2014-295 taps w/sap puller 55 ga. (re-tapped to vacuum theory) 2015-330 taps full vac. 65 gal, 2016-400 taps 105 gal, 2017-400 taps 95 gal. 2018-additional 800' mainline and maybe 400 new taps for a total near 800 taps. 2x6 Leader WSE (last year on it) supported by a 250 gph RO.

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    I highly suspect your decision will be made as soon as you see the difference in price. Trans-O 580 works well in organic operations where regular organic oils do not function good enough, but it comes at a considerable cost. Atmos works extremely well as a defoamer, is NOT organic, but is inexpensive. I believe CDL is the sole supplier of Trans-O 580.
    I think it isn't CDL but LaPierre that carries Trans-O 580, and I found one link for $140 / 7.8 lbs. I don't know if that relates to liquid or solid product, but sounds pricey as you suggested.

Is ATMOS made from meat?

I may default to one of the kitchen oils simply because there have been too many posts about ATMOS not being liquid at the moment of need.

i keep my Atmos right next to the cold float box or sitting on top of the float box... where i put it in. the heat from the evaporator keeps it liquid while i'm boiling.
    Awfully thankful for an understanding wife!

“The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.”
    - Vincent “Vince” Lombardi

Good luck to all!

In the first 17 years I made syrup, I kept my bottle of atmos either on the hot float box or the area where the syrup pan and the flues pan meet. I also have a microwave in my sugarhouse, I warm the Atmos in there, then it remains liquid all day (and into the night). Then I added a drip dispenser for the Atmos and mounted the dispenser on the flue pan hood. Since my sugarhouse is cold until the evaporator is at full boil, I had a clamp light with a 60 watt incandescent bulb in it, I clamped it at about 6" from the dispenser and the Atmos soon melted.
    Using Atmos for 19 seasons I never heard of any allergy problems and I sell about 95-98% retail. It seems if Atmos was an issue I'd have heard something in 19 seasons, with all of the gluten, peanut, or anything else allergies.
    Last edited by maple flats; 02-26-2021 at 02:59 PM.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

As part of a response from the makers of ATMOS, it is gluten free-- which is a major concern for my immediate family.
    Good to know.

+ Reply to Thread