+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SW VA Bland Co.

Default SW VA Bland Co.

Posting for the first time. Small time, maybe 60 taps. Started on the wood cook stove many years ago. Went to a home made block evaporator. Worked good, but too much work for an old man. First year with a smoky lakes dauntless and I am pleased so far. Sap started running around January 25th then really bad weather set in. Still got 130 gallons of sap that cooked down to almost 3 gallons of syrup. Dark and smoky tasting. Really good. Trees started running like crazy 2 days ago and I will collect and start another batch. We have had 3 days of beautiful weather after one of the worst snow and ice winters in quite awhile.

Where about In Bland That is where we make syrup as well. We are up to 100 gallons so far.

Default Bland co maple syrup

FFCuz,
    Walkers Creek out Raleigh-Grayson Turnpike past the courthouse. I think I visited your camp last year. You are off Grassy Branch on the south side of Brushy Mt ? I was with jack tate and r newberry. I know of at least 8 maple syrup makers in the county. It would be neat if there was someway we could exchange info. When I came up here from down south in 1976 people were making sorghum molasses but no maple syrup that I was aware of. Historically there were a lot of sugar shacks in the county. Kind of a renaissance of a sorts it seems. Hope y’all are doing well. The weather has been crazy miserable. Maybe we will get another good run or two.

Yep that’s us. We are tearing down this week may get a little run Tuesday but it’s about over. We should end with around 120 gallons. Hope it’s going well for you. My grandpa made syrup here in the 50’s We just wanted to revive the family tradition here.

Default Bland co.

I am thinking that it will run tomorrow for a few days, the I am quitting also. Post next year and I will also. I want to come over as I learn more I have more questions. Take care.

We pulled everything yesterday sap starting to turn a little and syrup getting darker. We had a good run going to end up with around 115 gallons.

Bland County, VA
    Collected 125 gallons of sap this week. First boil today. 60+taps. May add more next week. Flows have been very uneven so far.

We finished up first 500 today would like to get in another 500 this week. Can.t wait to see what tomorrow’s temperatures bring

+ Reply to Thread