+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sureflow System Question

Default Sureflow System Question

I'm thinking about next year already.
    I have a small stand of red maples at the back of my property that I currently use spiles and bags on.
    I'd like to set up a sureflow pump and run a line back to the area and am wondering if it is possible.

Specs:

Total distance about 900'.
    40 - 50 taps.
    Zero elevation change.

Questions if possible,
    What size main line should be used?
    Can I lay the tubing on the ground? (I need to take it in at the end of season)

Thanks.

Too much distance and not enough elevation for a mainline. I'd put 20-25 taps on each of 2 3/16 laterals and run em all the way to the pump. Use 2 each 1/2" PVC tees and an elbow to make a manifold. One tee and an 8" nipple for your vac gauge and one for a lateral, and the elbow for the other lateral. I've got 36 taps 16 reds & 20 sugars on 3 laterals on my shurflo, the longest laterals are both about 700' long, the short one, (which the last 100' or so, runs uphill about 3' ) is 350' long. The last few runs I've got from 45-100 gallon per day out of these 36 trees, 1 tap each. 3/16 laterals with 5/16 drops. CDL health spouts.

I have two laterals on my gravity mainline in another woods, both are 1600' long, 44 taps on one and 48 on the other, way more than the 30 recommended, but with 50' of elevation after the last tap they both pull 28" of vac, and on nights it doesn't freeze, they run all night an into the next day.

Don't put em on the ground, they won't thaw and critters will chew on em. Tubing is pretty forgiving and you can stretch it pretty tight between trees, use 1/4" nylon rope like a chinese finger trap to secure it on the pump end if you need to. I have a few step in fence posts I use tp keep it off the ground in between trees.

Here's the 1/2"-5/16" adapters i use to connect my laterals to the PVC- I have to use 3/16-5/16 reducers from the maple supply house to reduce the last foot of tubing. There may be an easier way, but I have both sizes of tubing in my woods. Good luck.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Last edited by bmbmkr; 03-03-2021 at 06:57 PM.
    '12 15 jugs - Steam pans
    '17 125 3/16 - 18" x 72" drop flue on homemade arch
    '18 240 3/16 - Deer Run 125
    '19 450 3/16 - Converted RO to electric/added a membrane
    '20 600 3/16 - Maple Pro 2x6 Raised Flue, added AOF/AUF
    '21 570 3/16 - Built steam hood, Smoky Lake filter press
    '22 800 3/16 - Upgraded RO to 4 4x40
    '23 500 3/16 - Re-plumbed RO, new "Guzzler"
    '24 500 3/16 - Steam Away, DIY 8x40 RO

Thank you for the comments tips and information.
    One question, why the 5/16" drops? Why not us 3/16" for all?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by bmbmkr View Post
    Too much distance and not enough elevation for a mainline. I'd put 20-25 taps on each of 2 3/16 laterals and run em all the way to the pump. Use 2 each 1/2" PVC tees and an elbow to make a manifold. One tee and an 8" nipple for your vac gauge and one for a lateral, and the elbow for the other lateral. I've got 36 taps 16 reds & 20 sugars on 3 laterals on my shurflo, the longest laterals are both about 700' long, the short one, (which the last 100' or so, runs uphill about 3' ) is 350' long. The last few runs I've got from 45-100 gallon per day out of these 36 trees, 1 tap each. 3/16 laterals with 5/16 drops. CDL health spouts.

I have two laterals on my gravity mainline in another woods, both are 1600' long, 44 taps on one and 48 on the other, way more than the 30 recommended, but with 50' of elevation after the last tap they both pull 28" of vac, and on nights it doesn't freeze, they run all night an into the next day.

Don't put em on the ground, they won't thaw and critters will chew on em. Tubing is pretty forgiving and you can stretch it pretty tight between trees, use 1/4" nylon rope like a chinese finger trap to secure it on the pump end if you need to. I have a few step in fence posts I use tp keep it off the ground in between trees.

Here's the 1/2"-5/16" adapters i use to connect my laterals to the PVC- I have to use 3/16-5/16 reducers from the maple supply house to reduce the last foot of tubing. There may be an easier way, but I have both sizes of tubing in my woods. Good luck.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm planning a similar setup next year, not nearly that distance, but very flat and roughly the same number of reds. I've read several members suggest using 5/16 in this kind of setup. 3/16 is best suited for setups with good elevation change
    40-60 trees on buckets depending on the year. Block arch with a whole bunch of steam pans

You won't be able to effectively pull sap on flat 5/16 tubing runs, but you can pull sap on flat 3/16 runs. There is more friction loss on the 3/16 tubing so neither solution is ideal, but I think you will get more sap on the 3/16 with vacuum than with the 5/16.

Dave
    Mountain Maple farm
    2022 NAMSC award winning dark amber syrup
    2023: 320 taps, 70% red maples. Mountain Maple S4 diaphragm pump controller with automated sap transfer and text messaging
    https://www.mountainmaplefarm.com
    https://www.facebook.com/MountainMapleFarm/

I've used the 3/16 method for 4 seasons and done fairly well. It does require some special attention however. In yr 1, nothing special, until after the season, then you must clean the tubing using Calcium Hypochlorite (a calcium based chlorine), fill the tubing, let it set a minimum of 30 minutes or even overnight, then drain it and flush with clean potable water. Repeat in mid fall for even better results. Then, before season 2-3-4 and so forth, cut out all tees and any couplers in the 3/16 and replace them, after a final flush. The reason is that the holes in the 3/16 fittings are so small little flakes of debris can and will plug them, stopping the sap flow. While this can work, even with a ShurFlo, you will get less sap than if you had good elevation drop or 5/16 on high vacuum. But I have found the sap you get is well worth it, and the cost to get it was far lower than using conventional methods.
    Now, to answer the question, why 5/16 drop and taps? The reason for that is because in 3/16 the sap doesn't ever pass the air (gases from the tree) in the tubing, but in 5/16 it does. Thus, as the tree freezes it pulls some now contaminated sap back into the tap hole with 3/16, but less or hopefully non if using 5/16 drops. In yr 1, seasonal taps are fine, in yrs 2 and beyond I use CV2 taps.
    By the way, Reds will give you lots more sap on vacuum that without. Using a ShurFlo I can't begine to give any idea becauyse mine were on 26-27" vacuum with a piston vacuum pump and a releaser.
    Last edited by maple flats; 03-05-2021 at 03:39 PM.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread