+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Batch boil?

Default Batch boil?

Been bigger in past years but only have time to make a little syrup this year.
    If my wood burner evaporator is too large and I use my turkey fryer with flat ss pans to evaporate down to "close" nearup how long will I be able to keep adding more batches to my finisher before it goes bad if kept outside ( highs forecast to average 40- lows average 30?(I'm saying going bad because of not being finished syrup with that ambient temperature)

If you have room you might consider putting it in the freezer until your ready to finish and bottle. I did that last year when pressed for time.

Ok, so "nearup" in freezer will be ok how long?

I'm guessing you mean boiled down sap to "nearup" put in freezer not raw sap? ( I don't have that much room but could put small amounts of nearup- a few gallons in freezer)
    Last edited by Hunt4sap; 02-25-2021 at 11:57 AM.

It will last as long as your freezer will in theory. You could always put the whole tray in a cooler and pack some ice around it if you're worried about it going bad between boils. If it's a couple days you'll be fine, If it's a week or more then you'll likely have problems. Whatever you do, keep it out of the sun or away from anything that the sun will heat up.
    6th season solo sugar maker in a young sugar bush of mostly red maples
    320 taps
    2x6 self built arch, Flat pans w/ dividers
    New 12x16 sugar house
    CDL hobby 250 RO

+ Reply to Thread