+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vacuum Pump Station Critique

Quote Originally Posted by Biz View Post
    I had a very similar situation yesterday. 100 taps on 3/16, 5gpm pump. No recirculation line. The vacuum would sit around 12", flow would start to come in, up to 22", sap coming in good. Then eventually there was not enough flow to sustain the vacuum and it would drop back to 12". Sap would flow backwards in the lines. Cycle repeated every 10 minutes. I swapped the 5gpm pump for a 3gpm Shurflo 4008, reasoning that the smaller pump would be better at holding a steady vacuum. Bingo, after that it held 22" steady for the rest of the day. I am thinking that my trees were not flowing well yet so the larger pump did not work well with the low flow. I want to try it again later in the season when sap is running hard to see if it makes a difference.

Dave
    Thats interesting.... Thanks for the update... If you didn't have the smaller pump handy, I wonder if putting a valve on the output of the pump might work as well? Im guessing not, because air would flow through the valve much faster than liquid... Might not be able to maintain any consistency either...

Or another thought.... Rheostat speed control on the pump motor... DC motors are easy to speed control, by simply lowering the voltage... but I don't know if these pumps would take to it?

Here is a video of it today. Sap seems to be flowing better. I opened the needle valve all the way and it seems to run the best as in “pulls hard” but then it stalls, then pulls etc. I appreciate the help. I do t have any close maple friends that I can personally view setups etc so I rely a lot on the trader to help!!

https://youtu.be/j08Xny0afWk
    2018 - 8 Taps on Buckets - homemade 2x2 pan and wood arch - 1.25 gallons
    2019 - 30 Taps on Buckets - new Sugarhouse , 2x4 divides pan and homebuilt
    evaporator! - 3.5 gallons
    2020 - planning 50 Taps on 3/16 tubing with shurflo vacuum

That looks like it’s working OK to me.
    305 taps on 2 Shurflo's, 31 taps on 3/16" and 229 taps on gravity. 565 in all
    Mountain Maple S3 controller for 145 of the vacuum taps
    2x6 Darveau Mystique Oil Fired Evaporator w/ Smoky Lake Simplicity Auto Draw
    Wesfab 7” filter press

Well... needless to say it is working. No leaks. It was just a case of sap not flowing from trees. In fact it’s working so well... last night everything froze outside but inside box and insulated recirculating lines, etc didn’t freeze. Today when pump kicked on... vacuum has shot up to and pegged my gauge trying to suck frozen exterior sap lines!!

E394311A-7202-4C8B-B33B-095FAAEAF7CA.jpg
    2018 - 8 Taps on Buckets - homemade 2x2 pan and wood arch - 1.25 gallons
    2019 - 30 Taps on Buckets - new Sugarhouse , 2x4 divides pan and homebuilt
    evaporator! - 3.5 gallons
    2020 - planning 50 Taps on 3/16 tubing with shurflo vacuum

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12