+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5/16 tubing question

Default 5/16 tubing question

Hello all,

This year I decided to give 5/16 tubing a try. Last few years I've used 5/16 drop lines into 5 gallon buckets. I have a few runs, 25-75ft in length with good pitch. 5/16 main line. I'm using 5/16 drop lines as well. The runs average about 10 taps per run, some less. This afternoon I came home to the lower part of the lines full of sap and very little in my collection points. Is this normal? It didn't look like it was flowing. I'm still trying to figure this out. I know you don't want to vent the line so I'm thinking there isn't enough natural vacuum? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

It's very early in the season, this is our first major thaw. I've only gotten a quart or so per tap. Also I don't believe that 5/16 line develops vacuum, only 3/16 line does that.
    60ish taps on buckets
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    Turbo RB15 RO Bucket

So I'm being impatient? Just unsure if this is normal or of I did something wrong.

I can’t see any issues based on what you’ve said. Tap the trees, run the line, collect the sap. This is only our first warmup in the region and trees take a long time to thaw
    60ish taps on buckets
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    Turbo RB15 RO Bucket

What is your pitch? And did you consider 3/16 tubing if you are not adding vacuum?
    2024 - New Maine resident, 12X12 sugar shack under construction
    2019 - New 12X12 boiling pavilion
    2018 - New Mason 2X3 Hobby XL and homemade RO

What you are experiencing is normal and you'll get plenty of sap when the conditions are right. You won't get as much natural vacuum with 5/16 as you will with 3/16 but if you're planning to add mechanical vacuum in the future stick with the 5/16 and run a 3/4" mainline. There are a few options for mechanical vacuum without using a releaser to keep the expense down.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

I don't think you have done anything wrong. It's still early in the season and the trees have to thaw before they will start to run good. Also 5/16 tubing does not develope vacuum like 3/16 does.
    First introduced to making maple syrup in 1969
    Making syrup every year since 1979
    3 x 10 oil fired
    Revolution syrup and max flue pan
    Almost 1300 taps total with 900 on high vacuum
    Bought first Marcland drawoff in 1997, still going strong.

I have no plans for vacuum systems. I only have about 30-40 total taps and no option to increase as I'm only tapping trees on my 2 acre lot. I'm guessing the slope on them is about 15% if not more. It seems that I'm just being impatient and need to wait for a good sap run as yesterday was the first of the season. I was just worried with the amount of sap still in the tubing. I'm guessing that it's safe to assume that will work its way into my collection tanks in a timely manner. If not, do I need to worry about it spoiling in the lines? Sorry if this is common knowledge among the group, this whole tubing thing is new to me.

Although I do not use tubing, I don't believe that residual sap in the lines is a problem. It will work its way down to your collection bin.
    60ish taps on buckets
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    Turbo RB15 RO Bucket

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

When it is time -- the sap will run. There will be sap left in the lines...that is normal. Ignore the temptation to VENT...you will get all the sap that is in the line to come out quickly, then it'll stop. Just let it happen naturally.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast