+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tapped in Hudson, NH

Default Tapped in Hudson, NH

All tapped in Hudson as of 1 today. Was running pretty well and when I went back at 4 was still coming in. First year with 3/16 on most of my taps. I have some 30' + drops. I think I will be selling all of my buckets! I really liked the everything about the tubing. I know there are cleaning issues however I will be taking it all down at the end of the season and going from there. Good luck to all, looks like we are underway in the south. Will be boiling tomorrow.

19x48 mini pro oil fired, Nano R/O, CDL Vacuum Press,Mountain Maple Vacuum setup
    6x12 sugar house off back of shed
    2024-103 Taps Mostly Sugars, Dozen Reds
    "The days are long, but the years are short"

Good for you!!! Still frozen here... even though I am east of you my woods are pretty cold and trees are still frozen in but should be soon!!! Good luck!!!
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

www.willowcreeksugarhouse.com
    585 or so on Vacuum, about 35 on buckets/sap sacs
    Atlas Copco GVS 25A Rotary Vane vacuum pump
    MES horizontal electric releaser
    2x6 ss phaneuf Drop flue, Leader woodsaver blower, homemade hood
    300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP
    Its Here!!! 2024 season is here get busy!!!

Way ahead of me! Hope your 3/16 lines do well for you. I would much rather clean tubing each year than hundreds of buckets!
    6th season solo sugar maker in a young sugar bush of mostly red maples
    320 taps
    2x6 self built arch, Flat pans w/ dividers
    New 12x16 sugar house
    CDL hobby 250 RO

I have about 50 gallons from one of my lines in Merrimack, the other 3 didnt run yet. Still a bunch of snow around the trees and the ground is pretty solid. I hope today it changes!!
    2022 4x40" RO, Welch 1397 Vac Pump, 3 Guzzler Pumps, Lapierre Releaser, 1100 taps
    2021 Twin Baby Boys, Close to 650 taps
    2020 Upgraded RO to 2 post and 7GBS Pump. 265 taps
    2019 Smoky Lake 2x6 raised flue, Autodraw system, Maple Jet Filter Press, a beautiful new bride to be my sugaring partner :-)
    2017 Expanded Sugar Shack, new 2x6 with float box, NEXTgen Maple RO, 250+ taps, still on sap sacks
    2016 Sugar Shack, 2x6 evaporator, 160 taps, all on Sap Sacks
    2014 110 taps
    2013 35 taps

Collected enough to do my first boil today in Hudson. Was still running pretty well when we were gathering. Felt good to get rolling even if it was only for a couple of hours. Looks like it may not get below freezing tonight which will help with the overall thaw. As long as that is not the norm we should be ok. Loving the tubing, def going to phase out the buckets next year. No RO here so beginning the long slow crawl to 220. Looks like you guys have some impressive tap numbers, when it breaks you will be in for some long nights, exactly what we want!

19x48 mini pro oil fired, Nano R/O, CDL Vacuum Press,Mountain Maple Vacuum setup

That's awesome to hear! I'm right by you, with a similar tap count at my house, then a few scattered across neighbors. Still on buckets, still pretty frozen and not getting much, we tapped Saturday. I'm hoping to get about 30 taps on 5/16 with a shurflow 4008 next year (very flat land). Wish I had anywhere near the slope you have. I can't wait to be done with bucket hauling and checking. Don't think we'll have much of a boil this weekend unless the trees thaw quick.
    40-60 trees on buckets depending on the year. Block arch with a whole bunch of steam pans

Collected 80 gals. last night from the line runs. Nothing yet on buckets. Still a good amount of snow around all the tree bases. Yesterday and today should help the thawing. Hoping for a decent run over the next couple of days; enough to sweeten the pan.
    Thanks, Bill
    2017 - 3 taps hanging buckets.
    2018 - 32 taps on 5 gal. buckets.
    2019 - New Mason 2x4 XL. 80 taps
    2020 - Barn / Sugarhouse finished. 125 taps. NextGen 1x40 RO
    2021 - 157 taps, 100 on 3/16 tubing w/two Shurflo set-ups, the rest on buckets
    2022 - 225 taps. 175 on 3/16 tubing, rest on buckets.
    2023 - 300 taps. 261 on tubing, 39 on 5 gal. buckets. Four Shurflo 12V set-ups.
    2024 - 340 taps. New SL 2x4 hybrid pan. Added second 1x40 membrane to RO

Default Hudson NH Update

Up to about 3 gallons made here in Hudson. A good start for me as the last two years I have made about 6. Trees have really slowed down for me. Last weekend was a show stopper with lots of sap. I think the really cold weather with the wind the other night ground things to a halt. I thought it would run today but not much although the 3/16 was running at 4 today. I don't see much movement until next week with some real warm weather coming in. We could be looking at a real tsunami of sap next week. I may boil tomorrow if I can get a little more to justify firing up then don't see too much coming in this weekend. Going to can up what I have made this weekend and maybe catch up on some sleep. Next week should be fun. Good luck to all. Love reading about how everyone is doing. BTW sap all seems to be at 2% or better for me so far this year. Much better than last year here anyway. After removing the ice from one of my barrels today the sap that was left tested at 3%. Poor mans RO!

Im at work in Hudson, BAE, and wishing I was home today. I have about 350 gallons sitting in my tanks waiting for me. They were already running this morning when I came in to work, so I assume should be a decent day and add another 50-100 gallons on the total I have waiting. I know a bunch of it was iced over but I should be able to get through it to suck the good stuff out.
    2022 4x40" RO, Welch 1397 Vac Pump, 3 Guzzler Pumps, Lapierre Releaser, 1100 taps
    2021 Twin Baby Boys, Close to 650 taps
    2020 Upgraded RO to 2 post and 7GBS Pump. 265 taps
    2019 Smoky Lake 2x6 raised flue, Autodraw system, Maple Jet Filter Press, a beautiful new bride to be my sugaring partner :-)
    2017 Expanded Sugar Shack, new 2x6 with float box, NEXTgen Maple RO, 250+ taps, still on sap sacks
    2016 Sugar Shack, 2x6 evaporator, 160 taps, all on Sap Sacks
    2014 110 taps
    2013 35 taps

Good week here is Hudson for sap flow. Boiled most nights, i'd say 15+ hours. Will have to can tomorrow as my draw off container is just about full. Was running again today however with the cold night ahead I will let it sit and collect and boil tomorrow. Looks like no flow till Wednesday after tomorrow which is ok, need a break. The weather looks good down here a least a week out. If it ended today I think I would be about where I was last year so been a good one for me. Sap all testing at 2%. 3/16 has made a real difference. Eyeing the Nano RO for next year. No wonder Bascom's does so well, I made a list of the stuff I want to get for next year while I was boiling last night, might be cheaper to park a used car in sugar house and call it good. As always having a blast, kids not running out the door as fast to help gather as this point in the season

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast