+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trees not producing yet??

Default Trees not producing yet??

Im still kinda new this will be my 3rd season just wondering if its normal for trees to be not producing yet? Im in southern maine and i usually tap in march but decided to get a head start this year since ive seen everyone else in my area already running. It was warm today like 40 and didnt look like anything was running like i expected it to be wondering if its just a bad season or if i tapped too early??

You didn't do anything wrong and you certainly can't call it a bad season. It hasn't started yet! I wouldn't expect much this week, even in southern Maine. They may thaw out tomorrow and run some Sunday but I wouldn't expect a lot of sap this week. It will take several days for the trees to thaw out.
    305 taps on 2 Shurflo's, 31 taps on 3/16" and 229 taps on gravity. 565 in all
    Mountain Maple S3 controller for 145 of the vacuum taps
    2x6 Darveau Mystique Oil Fired Evaporator w/ Smoky Lake Simplicity Auto Draw
    Wesfab 7” filter press

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

When did you tap? If it was more than a month ago, the tapholes might have dried up, but more likely the trees haven't thawed yet.

How cold has it been the last couple of nights? Trees don't warm up as fast as the air....it takes them a while to thaw out...sometimes days if the temps have been really cold recently. Just because it's 40 deg F now, if it was 10 deg F this morning it's going to be a while for the wood to thaw.

How much snow is around the base of the tree? If there is a lot, the water can't be drawn up into the stem. it could take a freeze/thaw cycle or two after snow melts back to start running well.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Jarred,

I have a few trees in Westbrook that I tapped Sunday, they started producing today, but they are yard trees with not a lot of snow around them and some have fairly direct sun. It isn't much just about an inch in the buckets.
    Tucker Adams

2022 - 105 Taps, 58 on buckets, 40 on shurflo, 5 on 3/16 gravity across southern Maine with primary bush in Norway. Aiming for 30 Gallons this Year.
    2021 - 64 Taps in Norway, ME (mostly on 3/16 tubing) - 16 gallons with a 225 gallon sap donation.
    2x4 AOF/AUF Oil Drum Evaporator with Badgerland Pan
    1/2 finished 12x16 Sugar Shack

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    When did you tap? If it was more than a month ago, the tapholes might have dried up, but more likely the trees haven't thawed yet.

How cold has it been the last couple of nights? Trees don't warm up as fast as the air....it takes them a while to thaw out...sometimes days if the temps have been really cold recently. Just because it's 40 deg F now, if it was 10 deg F this morning it's going to be a while for the wood to thaw.

How much snow is around the base of the tree? If there is a lot, the water can't be drawn up into the stem. it could take a freeze/thaw cycle or two after snow melts back to start running well.

I tapped them probably a couple weeks ago now but yeh i was worried i might have to retap i didnt even know if it was possible for them to seal up in that time

Give it a few days. We are mid-coast and our trees loosend up for the first time today it will take a few days for them to really get going.
    2020 LaPierre Vision 18x48 raised flue. 150 taps
    Mountain Maple Vaccum pump controller
    2016 1st season! Mason 2x3 and 30 taps... time will tell!

Tapped in Hudson NH today. It was flowing but really depended on exposure. You should be in good shape. As everyone has said it is going to take some time for the trees to thaw especially those that don't get a lot of sun etc. I have tapped on the same day by chance the last 3 years, Feb. 23rd and had no problems with the tap holes being viable into April. By then I am done and pull the taps. If the weather pattern continues, hopefully a slow build, over the next week or week and a half you should see some sap. They are calling for 50 here on Saturday, a little warm for me but you should be close to that in southern Maine. Good luck.

19x48 mini pro oil fired, Nano R/O, CDL Vacuum Press,Mountain Maple Vacuum setup
    6x12 sugar house off back of shed
    2024-103 Taps Mostly Sugars, Dozen Reds
    "The days are long, but the years are short"

Quote Originally Posted by Jaredd91 View Post
    Im still kinda new this will be my 3rd season just wondering if its normal for trees to be not producing yet? Im in southern maine and i usually tap in march but decided to get a head start this year since ive seen everyone else in my area already running. It was warm today like 40 and didnt look like anything was running like i expected it to be wondering if its just a bad season or if i tapped too early??
    It will soon come!
    The trees have not thawed a likely need some cycles of thawing in freezing. When I first started sugaring I used to get excited when I saw some of them clowns tapping in January, it's more science than circus and see who can tap first!! . It's just not the time, the weather is very important you can tap anytime but tapping during the right time frame is crucial. I feel a lot of people hear these bigger producer starting in December and January and they feel like they have to start then also. If you look at the numbers of some of these big producers they're not all that great!
    Last edited by blissville maples; 02-26-2021 at 06:11 AM.
    18x30 sugarshack
    5100 taps high vac
    3x10 inferno with steampan
    7'' wes fab filter press
    10'' cdl air filter press
    D&G 3 post reverse osmosis w/recirculation

+ Reply to Thread