+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How long does a sap run last?

Default How long does a sap run last?

Sap started flowing (yesterday I think?) here in my corner of the woods. I’m new to this, and am wondering how long a single sap run will flow if the weather doesn’t freeze at night?

In Southwest PA the weather has been pretty cold for the last 2-3 weeks, between 4-30 degrees and never above freezing. Pretty cloudy too so not a lot of sun warmth. It reached 40ish yesterday, low 40’s today and like 57 tomorrow. But the night temperature hovers right above 32 degrees, so we probably will not get a good hard freeze.

Surely the sap will stop flowing at some point if the weather stays above freezing, right? And then needs a freeze and thaw to start flowing again?
    2021 - first year, planning for 200 taps with a 2x5' flat pan with copper drop tubes

Welcome to the madness! I've had my trees run all night in the circumstances you describe but I don't think for more than a couple of nights. Means for an early morning check to ensure you aren't coming home to overflowing pails. Dr Tim Perkins, a moderator here, can best describe the freeze/thaw thing for you. But the short answer to your question about how long a sap run can last is....as long as it lasts *shrugs*
    Been tapping since 2008.
    2018 - 17 taps/7 trees...819l sap, approx 28l syrup
    2019 - 18 taps/8 trees...585l sap, 28l syrup...21:1 ratio
    2020 - 18 taps/8 trees...890.04l sap...gave away about 170l, 30l snafu'd....23l total for me from approx 690l
    2021 - 18 taps/8 trees...395l sap, 12 l syrup
    2022 - 18 taps/8 trees....7 sugars 1 red due to #2 having surgery so had the season off....582l sap, 18.5l syrup
    2023 - 18 taps/8 trees...all sugars again. 807l sap, so far approx 14l syrup

There's a lot of variables there but assuming you are on gravity or buckets then it can run for a couple days early in the season before shutting off. It will peak at some point then gradually slow down. I've seen operations on vacuum pull for up to 4 days straight. It slowed overnight but kept pulling. In all cases, sugar content will decrease over the course of the run.
    305 taps on 2 Shurflo's, 31 taps on 3/16" and 229 taps on gravity. 565 in all
    Mountain Maple S3 controller for 145 of the vacuum taps
    2x6 Darveau Mystique Oil Fired Evaporator w/ Smoky Lake Simplicity Auto Draw
    Wesfab 7” filter press

Yeah, if you don't have vacuum, you're probably looking at a two to three days of sap running, but it really tails off, and the sugar in it really drops. That is, it will just keep dripping slower and slower, and at lower and lower sugar. I had one season where all it did was get really cold for a week, and then get really hot for a few weeks, and back and forth. I got a normal amount of sap, but because so much of it was from day two and three, my sugar percent for the season was very low.

Another thing: Dr Tim has said that after a long freeze, the crown of the tree loses a lot of its moisture if there was not a reset. So after three weeks below freezing, your run might not be as big as a run after just a few days of cold.

Cheers,

GO
    2016: Homemade arch from old wood stove; 2 steam tray pans; 6 taps; 1.1 gal
    2017: Same setup. 15 taps; 4.5 gal
    2018: Same setup. Limited time. 12 taps and short season; 2.2 gal
    2019: Very limited time. 7 taps and a short season; 1.8 gals
    2020: New Mason 2x3 XL halfway through season; 9 taps 2 gals
    2021: Same 2x3, 18 taps, 4.5 gals
    2022: 23 taps, 5.9 gals
    2023: 23 taps. Added AUF, 13.2 gals
    2024: 17 taps, 5.3 gals
    All on buckets