+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 3/16 tubing sap collection vent?

Default 3/16 tubing sap collection vent?

trying my hand at 3/16 this season. I purchased 55 gallon sap barrels from Bascom that have tops that come off and are held on with a lever type clamp. I ran all my runs on Sunday and will be tapping tomorrow. My plan was to run the line through the top of the barrel and have read many threads on this to be sure to make it a tight fit for the tubing etc. One thread mentioned that you need to have a vent line. Just wondering if this is necessary? I know a head tank can get vapor locked if the cover is too tight but I thought that was because you were removing liquid from the vessel. The concept makes sense when adding sap to a closed system as the air would have to go somewhere just wondering want other people think or do to vent there storage containers if at all.

19x48 mini pro oil fired, Nano R/O, CDL Vacuum Press,Mountain Maple Vacuum setup
    6x12 sugar house off back of shed
    2024-103 Taps Mostly Sugars, Dozen Reds
    "The days are long, but the years are short"

I did the exact same thing for a few years about 5 years ago. Same drums, except I was on 5/16 at the time. I never really locked down the lid though. When I switched to 3/16, the holes were oversized, so it ws not airtight. I still use the drums in a few locations, but never have an airtight seal on the lid or tubing. Same with my IBC totes.
    Gary / Zena Crossroads / 42˚ 00' 24" N / Hobby in Early '70s, Addiction since 2014

175+ taps on 3/16 (60 of which are on two Lunchbox Vac/Releasers)
    12x34 timber framed sap house w/attached 10x34 shed roof for storage
    2 x 6 Smoky Lake hybrid pan on Corsair arch with AUF/steam hood/preheater/concentric exhaust
    7.0 KW Sun Power PV System, Smokey Lake Filter Press/Steam Bottler, Modified NGMP RO - 2 4x40 posts 200 gph

I'm really not sure why it would need to be "tight fit"? To keep rain and bugs out maybe? You will need to allow air to escape as sap enters. You don't want to create any back pressure. Just be sure to keep the end of your sap lines up out of the sap.... so the trees don't draw it back out of your barrel at night.

+ Reply to Thread