+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Surflow distance

Default Surflow distance

I don't have many taps (about 15ish) but I would LOVE to use vacuum and try and get as much as I can from my few trees on my property. I now it might not be the most efficient given the few trees, but I think it could actually be pretty fun to see at my house, and it would make collecting "easier" pumping it all into 1 collection tank that I can stick into the woods away from most sun, and then have it gravity feed into my pan :-)

So I have a couple questions

#1 how far can the pump handle? The furthest trees are about 300-400 feet apart.
    #2 can it handle any vertical? 4 of the taps are about 20-30 feet lower than the rest of the taps.

My thought was to have 2 runs and have the pump roughly in the middle so that it's at most 200 feet to the furthest trees. This was roughly where I wanted to put the tank anyway so if that is possible I think that's how I wanted to do it.
    2020 - 1st year 14 taps 1 Gallon Jugs + 4x 5-Gallon Buckets + Propane Grill + lots of headaches so far
    2021 - 2nd year - 19 Taps

It will pull it if you are using 3/16 tubing. You get some frictional losses with longer lines so if you can shorten them that would be best. I have a couple runs that are 500' which I cannot shorten.

If you have to lift sap, you lose vacuum on that branch.

Dave
    Mountain Maple farm
    2020: 207 taps, 60% red maples. Mountain Maple S3 diaphragm pump controller with automated sap transfer
    New website:
    https://www.mountainmaplefarm.com
    https://www.facebook.com/MountainMapleFarm/

I would not plan on any ladder type rise from anything less than full vacuum because they don't have much CFM, which is needed for success with ladders. I used a Guzzler pump for our first introduction to vacuum. It was a great improvement over gravity. I think our total mainline (mostly 3/4" and some 1") was about 2000' total. We had about 400 taps on our single Guzzler.

Mike
    Tapping since 1985 (four generations back to early to mid 1900s). 200-250 taps on buckets and then tubing in the mid 90s. 2013- 275 taps w/sap puller 25 gal. 2014-295 taps w/sap puller 55 ga. (re-tapped to vacuum theory) 2015-330 taps full vac. 65 gal, 2016-400 taps 105 gal, 2017-400 taps 95 gal. 2018-additional 800' mainline and maybe 400 new taps for a total near 800 taps. 2x6 Leader WSE (last year on it) supported by a 250 gph RO.

+ Reply to Thread