+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Under Pressured AOF - Help!

Another thing that might help, run the AOF straight in from the blower and use at least a 1 or 2 size larger pipe until you branch off for the AUF and leave the AOF valve wide open, then throttle the air down for the AUF. Burning more wood is not your objective, burning the excess wood gases is the objective. Running less air under and getting more over will help. Also, 3/8" nozzles are too big, my 3x8 , as I said above uses 1 high pressure blower to run both and it works very well, my nozzles are only 1/4" black pipe. For best results you want velocity out of the AOF nozzles to create turbulance above the fire, not volume.
    Just changing the air ducting that shows on the outside, to favor more pressure to the AOF will help.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Evening All!

So, I tried the Koala 1200, and truly it was still underpowered but an improvement. As suggested by Dave (mapleflats) I upped the output pipe to 3" (blower outlet is a little under 4") and then used a wye fitting to direct it down to the AUF with spaflex but it had a straight shot to the AOF. This helped but not a lot. Then I closed the AUF entirely, and still not that great even though it was a straight shot to the AOF outlets. Then I utilized John's (RileySugarbush) idea of blocking off some of the nozzles, 6 out of my 12 in fact to see if I could increase pressure and still with no AUF divergence and playing around with it, I still wasn't getting close to 80 velocity. Seems like I just have the wrong blowers, or I truly screwed my 1 blower for both AOF/AUF solution, I think my piping down to 1.5 inch for each just doesnt vut it for one blower for both.

My temporary solution for now is to separate out the two until the end of this season when I can bring up my welder without it being freezing.

1. AUF with my old underpowered cheap blower, which delivered a good amount of air underneath when it is by itself. I am guessing this will likely still get me the necessary bump in air I need to boil faster, but am likely risking a high temp in the stack without AOF if I cannot get it dialed in.
    2. AOF utilizing a shop vac blower. It definitely got to a good velocity without any restriction, likely too much, so I can throttle it down. I will ask John to chime in on how many of the nozzles I should plug down from my 12, 3 on each side for a total of 9? I did confirm that i was utilizing 3/8 inch nozzles, so wondering if I can just clamp down hard on them with pliers and make them go down to 1/4"? Or should I find a 3/16 stainless plug (I wouldn't even know what section in home depot to find them! HA).

Thanks for all the insight everyone, as I still don't have a sugarhouse, just a huge evaporator on wheels, it is a challenge to set it up each time. Hopefully it won't be like this next season! First is always a doozie though I bet!

Tucker
    Tucker Adams

2022 - 105 Taps, 58 on buckets, 40 on shurflo, 5 on 3/16 gravity across southern Maine with primary bush in Norway. Aiming for 30 Gallons this Year.
    2021 - 64 Taps in Norway, ME (mostly on 3/16 tubing) - 16 gallons with a 225 gallon sap donation.
    2x4 AOF/AUF Oil Drum Evaporator with Badgerland Pan
    1/2 finished 12x16 Sugar Shack

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12