+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Previous owner put too many taps in

Default Previous owner put too many taps in

Hi i am tapping a new set of woods this year and im certain it has not been tapped for at least 3 years. Problem is some of the best looking maples about 24 in diameter is old holes i can see and there is 9 of them in each tree all in a row. The trees look healthy but can i still put a tap in them or should i leave them alone. Thanks.

Are you saying there is 1 horizontal or 1 vertical row of 9 holes on the tree? Or several rows around the tree? Sounds like may be they just tapped in 1 section of tree and not necessarily overtapped? It’s referred to as cluster tapping. Give us a little more info but sounds like you may be fine, just use larger drops to get around the tree if needed.
    305 taps on 2 Shurflo's, 31 taps on 3/16" and 229 taps on gravity. 565 in all
    Mountain Maple S3 controller for 145 of the vacuum taps
    2x6 Darveau Mystique Oil Fired Evaporator w/ Smoky Lake Simplicity Auto Draw
    Wesfab 7” filter press

Glen Goodrich says, "If they are alive, tap them, If they are dying, tap them any ways."
    Blaisdell's Maple Farm
    started on a 2x2 pan in 2000 and now
    custom built oil fired 4x12 arch by me
    Thor pans Desinged by Thad Blaisdell
    4600 taps on a drop flue 8-4 split

Quote Originally Posted by mainebackswoodssyrup View Post
    Are you saying there is 1 horizontal or 1 vertical row of 9 holes on the tree? Or several rows around the tree? Sounds like may be they just tapped in 1 section of tree and not necessarily overtapped? It’s referred to as cluster tapping. Give us a little more info but sounds like you may be fine, just use larger drops to get around the tree if needed.
    1 horizontal line of 9 holes all close together thanks
    Last edited by Altie22; 02-18-2021 at 05:32 PM.

Stay away from those old holes best you can and try to tap 8-12” above them. Make longer drops if needed to get to new areas. The old holes will heal but what was done is considered cluster tapping. The trees should be fine if you start doing it right. We try to stay 3” left or right of the tap hole and minimum 8” above. Some of our drops are over 40” long on large trees.
    305 taps on 2 Shurflo's, 31 taps on 3/16" and 229 taps on gravity. 565 in all
    Mountain Maple S3 controller for 145 of the vacuum taps
    2x6 Darveau Mystique Oil Fired Evaporator w/ Smoky Lake Simplicity Auto Draw
    Wesfab 7” filter press

Are you sure they are tap holes? Could they be from woodpeckers?

To have that many tap holes still visible after three years . . . .
    How old to the tap holes look? Are they all in the same stage of healing?
    Last edited by therealtreehugger; 02-19-2021 at 07:05 AM.
    2017 - 20ish taps on buckets, boiling outside in two baking pans
    2018 - 70+ taps, 14-buckets, 50+ on tubing, homemade arch from oil tank in my barn, 17 gal syrup
    2019 - same set up, 20 gal syrup
    2020 - less taps, short season, but RO kit was fantastic! 6 gal syrup and a maple cat!
    2021/22/23 - expanded into the neighbors yards! 50 taps on buckets and 40 taps on tubing

Sounds like it could be from sapsuckers. Our trees are riddled with sapsucker holes.
    Dave Barker
    2014 30 taps, steam tray pans
    2015 ~100 taps, in conjunction with University of Louisville
    2x5 Smoky Lake hybrid pan
    2022 150 taps

Quote Originally Posted by fisheatingbagel View Post
    Sounds like it could be from sapsuckers. Our trees are riddled with sapsucker holes.
    i googled sap sucker damage and it looks exactly like what i have. Thanks

I never saw this on any of the trees by me before until yesterday, and it was after reading this thread.

The strange thing is that of all the sugar, Norway, and my one big silver maple trees around me, I could only find the sap sucker holes on that one single tree. Those holes are on a big old Norway (or possibly black, but I'm pretty sure Norway based on the buds). That Norway is over 30" in diameter and was wet around the holes.

Funny thing is that that one tree the one large close by maple I've never tapped before. I figured maybe nature and those birds know something about sugar in that tree that I didn't, so I tapped it yesterday. I'm curious to see what the raw sap brix is on that one. If it's high, chalk one up for the birds!

Ray
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Backyard hobby syrup maker on about 12 trees

+ Reply to Thread