+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tapped in Essex County

I collected about 30 gallons yesterday and did a nice after work boil. It was probably my last one, but, I've got some wood left so if it runs today I may boil one more last time.

I'm also not finished out yet. I have been working my batches down and should have everything processed and bottled by the end of the weekend. I'm hoping for 5 gallons finished at this time. I've done more int he past, but 5 would be pretty good for my effort level this year.

sam

Well its all done for the year. Everything is cleaned up and put away until next season.

My final tally was 7 gallons off of ~40 taps and a moderate level of effort. I'm happy with it and now its time to get the garden planted and the boats up and running.

sam

New stack

2024 - New Maine resident, 12X12 sugar shack under construction
    2019 - New 12X12 boiling pavilion
    2018 - New Mason 2X3 Hobby XL and homemade RO

Got my first tubing tapped, sapped is gushing....some buckets are out there too. I broke my scapula last week so I have some friends providing local labor for the two handed tasks

Ugh! Hope you feel better soon. It's nice to have good friends you can count on. Blessed!

you know I used to read about some of the preseason issues the larger producers have getting ready and never thought it would happen to me but..

1) burned out RO pump trying to move thru two 4X40 membranes

2) first boil canceled due to not enough sap

3) shack power strip burned out

4) ordered new 400GPD membranes but they don't fit the old 150GPD housings

5) bigger housings are either out of stock or outrageously priced

6) Valve on IBC tote sprung a leak and had to do an emergency pump into buckets to save what I had

7) reconfiguring collection barrels to drain from below (while layng on their side) so to empty them completely when draining failed because I forgot that the sap inside the drain spout would freeze solid. had to go back to the bung valves to drain

all this with a broken scapula that would have ended my season if not for the volunteer efforts of friends who really enjoy the boiling soda get-togethers

That being said, we got the pans sweetened boiling 50 gallons last night and this freeze is coming at the right time as I need a pause for surgery.

I hope surgery goes smoothly for you Eustis.

I finally got everything tapped yesterday afternoon. I'm feeling like I may have started a bit late, but too much other stuff on my plate to get it all done before now.

I'm glad we got that last push of snow as it allowed me to snow blow a big pile to cover my collection buckets. I can only boil on weekends, so it helps to gave a good refrigeration system.

sam

Well, in the continuing Season of Suck up here on the Mountain, my first ROing was.....underwhelming. from just under 2% (in itself a minor miracle) my single post 400 gpd membrane brought the sap to...a rousing 2+%. So I ran it thru again and got it up to 2.5%. I ran the first pass thru at 100 psi and the second about 115 but the optimal for this membrane is 100 PSI. I would have used 2 membranes in series but I stupidly overtorqued a fitting and broke it inside the housing. I will try to drill that out later top try to save the housing.

I have ~180 gallons in the tank right now with probably another 70-90 to collect tomorrow and its gonna be life n death to get it all boiled before a) it goes bad or 2) I run out of wood.

Anyone in the area use a CDL Vaccuum filter? I could use some how-tos on it.

Guess not . Thankfully there was a whole thread devoted to it. Anyways, season totals were down, but I will take what I can get after my injury.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast