+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tapped in Essex County

looks like it will dial back down to normal by the weekend so theres at least one more recharge for the trees ahead
    2024 - New Maine resident, 12X12 sugar shack under construction
    2019 - New 12X12 boiling pavilion
    2018 - New Mason 2X3 Hobby XL and homemade RO

So I measured my sap......2%...which is high for my trees. So that's good.

Found out the scratches in my Mason pan were caused by Mr Mason during the construction process, which makes ME feel better that I didn't cause them. On the other hand, why I didn't notice them right off bothers me as yet another indictment of my powers of observation. I have some 3000 grit sandpaper I may try on a small area to see if I can buff them out a little after the season.

So I switched my RO membranes from 4 150 GPD 14" to 2 400 GPD 40" (and upgraded the pump to handle the bigger throughput) and am finally able to do the rinse/wash/rinse cycle for new membranes. BUT....I don't know if I want to mix RO sap with the non-RO sap already in the pan with these new membranes......the temps indicate I can RO all night this week w/o damaging the membranes and I AM anticipating pulling 125+ gallons during this warm spell so I DO want to try the RO....maybe I will just do this upcoming batch of sap on the RO and see how it comes out.

Well scratch Plan A....I could not get any permeate out of the line after hooking up to my sap tank so I will boil what % I have the old fashioned way and try tinkering with the apparatus during down times, of which I expect very little for the next week. My pump kept shutting down at 50 PSI as well.

Attached Images Attached Images

So Plan B worked with the 8852 pump. Got the PSI up to 90 and ran about 30 gallons to 5%. I have to RO some more in order to get the 20+ I will need to boil it and I will boil that separately from the pure sap I have been boiling, just in case. Will have to boil it fast because of the warmth. You don't want to let that sap sit around too long before getting in the stove.

Eustis, you've been way busier than me. I finally got to boil this weekend and it took me all of both days to get through about 200+ gallon of raw sap. (no RO for me yet).

I did find a much better way of getting pallet wood. I've been cutting up old pallets to burn and then found a pallet company that sells bags of cut pallets for $30. These are big bags that fill a 40" x 48" pallet about 3' - 4' tall. There are a ton of blocks in the bag that don't load as quickly as longer lengths, but, save a ton of time overall.

I'm waiting for my new hydrometer to show up so that I can finish the 5 gallons of nearup that I have boiled down. Based on the forecast for this week I'm expecting to do it all again next weekend.

Sam

200 gallons in 2 days??? That's a LOT. Sounds like a great find for the pallet wood (assuming it's pine).

Sadly, I was trying to soap wash the RO yesterday and, as I was switching the lines to the soap bucket my pump isssued a large set of bubbles and has now stopped sucking fluid. Sent an email to aquatec and now off to the RO forum for possible diagnosis.

It was a long 2 days outside. This morning I felt like I had had the crap kicked out of me. I really need to finish the sugar shack I started 2 years ago and then build the RO that I have had in mind for 4 or 5 years.

The pallet wood that I got is a pretty even mix of hard and soft wood. There are a bunch of oak stringers and blocking mixed in. The blocks (majority of what I got) do burn a little slower than decking material, but, did well once I got the loading times dialed in.

sam

I don't care for hardwoods, myself. They form coals and those just take forever to die down and after 7-8 hours of boiling I want to shut down and hit the couch. With just pine the time between Last Firing and "Ok to leave the pan by itself" is way shorter.

That's for sure. I sat out Sunday evening for half an hour inthe freezing wind waiting for it to feel safe enough to head for the house.

sam

I think today may be It for me. I simply have no way to keep sap cold enough to nit have to boil daily. I did get two fantastic days of collecting friday and saturday, giving me the most in the tank at one time this whole season:

So we boiled about half of that and I decided I will RO whats left and whatever yesterday and today give me to collect and then that will be that....I may achieve my 7+ gallons regular season yet. I haven't finished anything merely refrigerated whatever Near I have gotten so that will probably be the weekend plan after I condense everything down to one pot.
    Attached Images Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast