+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Northern Ontario 2021

Talking to the locals around here, in a normal year they get their litre a tree and one guy who sells it says he averages about 1.8 litres a tree, but he said every tree is different snd the sugar content is different every tree. Perhaps he is tapping early and late.

I was trying to plan my logistics for the spring run. I will base it on a litre a tree.

Hey Swingpure. Im also Just South east of North bay. I typically tap sometime between last week in Feb or first week in March. I run about 370 taps on lines and 20 or so test pails near the sugar shack.
    Been doing it for about 20 years and the 1L per tap is about right. Some years is lower some higher, but on average it is 1L syrup per tap. I used to get more but was running the very late season stuff. I don't do that anymore because I won't sell it and there are only so many ginger molasses cookies a man can eat in a year. I still have very dark syrup still from 10 years back that I occasionally use for BBQ sauces but thats it.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Walls View Post
    Hey Swingpure. Im also Just South east of North bay. I typically tap sometime between last week in Feb or first week in March. I run about 370 taps on lines and 20 or so test pails near the sugar shack.
    Been doing it for about 20 years and the 1L per tap is about right. Some years is lower some higher, but on average it is 1L syrup per tap. I used to get more but was running the very late season stuff. I don't do that anymore because I won't sell it and there are only so many ginger molasses cookies a man can eat in a year. I still have very dark syrup still from 10 years back that I occasionally use for BBQ sauces but thats it.
    Thanks, I will plan and hope for the 1L per tree. I just found out tonight I can access another property, so I will be close to 50 taps. Hopeful,y I will get enough sap that I will learn from my mistakes as. Go and still have lots of quality syrup.

My goal is to make Grade A syrup, even though I am not selling it. So much to learn when I actually do it.

I am thinking now that on the days that I have more sap then I can boil in that day, that I will plan on removing the most concentrated pan around 4 pm, stop adding firewood, but still boil and reduce the water content of the sap in the pans, with the residual heat, to give me a head start for the next day. Stopping around 4 should allow me to finish and bottle that day’s syrup. If I can boil off all of my available sap, I will stay and boil until I have.

Thanks again for the tips and I will wait for next spring when you say you are stopping collecting, to help me also avoid eating too many ginger cookies.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234