+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: tapping in nova scotia

Same thing for me. I have a few large Sugar Maples that are terrible producers and they are right next to great producers.

Yes, thanks for the input. I'll be keeping better track over the next few years to see if there is a trend.

Only a handful of trees produced anything significant here in the last few days. Collected ~25L total, so around a half a litre per tree. Not great. Hoping the next cold spell coming later this weekend recharges them again.

Hope everyone else is fairing better.

it is the same story with me. i've never seen it so bad a start of a season. i've got all reds except for 3 sugar maples. only the sugars are dripping a little once in a while. i sure hope things make a change here soon on the south shore for the better.

things are slow for me as well. collected 50l of sap yesterday.

Hopefully another crop comes later this week when she warms up again. I'm not sure, but it feels like either I miscalculated the season and started too late, or this oddly warm winter has affected the trees in some way and shortened the window, or the really dry summer last year reduced this years' sap production.....or some combo of all three. No idea!!

I do know that a few of my reds closer to the water are showing the first small signs of swelling buds (reds start earlier than sugars I think). Maybe this next window might be the last one for me this season (long-range shows all above zero after next weekend, grrrrrrr.....).

I will guard what little 2021 syrup I get with my life.

i hope everyone has been busy boiling, last week i had the biggest run in one day yet, and started with 300l yesterday, my lines thawed at 10am, and it ran decent all day. today it should run even better.. forecast isn't favorable though, only a low of 0 the rest of the week here in bear river...

Hope folks didnt give up early. i collected handy to 800 gallons from sunday and mondays run, and expect more coming in today. Tomorow looks fairly promising too, although hard to say yet.
    I had nearly given up on the season by the end of last week, but im awful happy i hadnt made any move to shut thigs down.
    2019 season - 11 taps, 2.5 gallons
    2020 season - - 2x4 homemade oil tank arch, homemade raised flue, and syrup pans.
    130 taps, 15 gallons of syrup
    2021 CDL 2x6 pan set with real raised flues. Hoping to hit 400-500 taps on tubing

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123