+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Hop Kiln Road 2021

I noticed that my sap was a little cloudy too but a 67 degree day will do that. It got down to 24 here overnight so it's looking like another good day for a sap run.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Hit my 15 year gpt average yesterday. Still ice in one field tank and sap is slightly cloudy, frost in the ground and the tanks are clean, but the forecast is not hopefully. Yesterday's boil was in the mid 40's with nice flavor. Probably end the season around 175 gal. Couple of notes: took 3 or 4 washes to get the membranes back to normal. RO usually runs at 225 lbs and will 2 pass 1000 gal, but it took awhile to reach this level this season. Syrup was usually clean. Got 20 gal+ out of the press when typically it would be 8 - 10 gal. The new 20 gal canner and keg system was timely. Made 28 gal last Saturday, a record, with no back up in the sugarhouse.
    Bruce Treat
    825 Sugar Maple Taps
    3/16 w/ DSD .225 Spiles
    H2O RO
    H2O 2.5 X 8
    Bow, New Hampshire

Couple observations. My season was astonishingly average when compared to the last 15, except the number of days the sap actually ran was quite low. 15 year average 17.5 days; 2021 14 days. And that was just the weather. My run/day/gallons/tap was actually quite strong at .79 with a 15 year average of .62

Start my post season woods protocol. I cut off the .225s when I pull them and fertilize the tree at the same time. A new .225 is 15 cents and 8 oz of fertilizer was only 10 cents last year. Then all the lines get loaded from the tops with zappit for a week and then flushed, dried and capped. I've installed some additional line so I can pump/load from the tops down, so it goes rather quickly.
    no problems with plugged tees and some of the systems are 5 years old now. I put the new .225s on in Dec/Jan when I inspect/repair the lines.
    Bruce Treat
    825 Sugar Maple Taps
    3/16 w/ DSD .225 Spiles
    H2O RO
    H2O 2.5 X 8
    Bow, New Hampshire

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234