+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hop Kiln Road 2021

I had one of those *** puckering moments myself last night. The valve from the flue pan to the front pan clogged up with what I suspect was an unnoticed wasp nest or something like that. I too caught it fast enough to avoid a disaster.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Glassed the first batch with the new canner. Put 20 gal through and the filter press didn't get above 12 lbs, so pretty clean stuff. Good test of my new system to pack 15 gal kegs when the going get tough. Grade was only 44% but it had sat around a lot at various stages. Pumped 500 gal from under the ice yesterday afternoon and things were just starting to flow. Crunched it overnight. Going to be a busy couple of days.
    Bruce Treat
    825 Sugar Maple Taps
    3/16 w/ DSD .225 Spiles
    H2O RO
    H2O 2.5 X 8
    Bow, New Hampshire

Boiled the previous day's crunch and and grade rose to 50%. Ran it through the same filter press cake, got the pressure up to 20 lbs. Can't believe it. Magic DE? Big ice block still in the concentrate tank. Didn't running as well as I had expected yesterday. Pumped 600 gal and expected 1000. Sugar ranges from 1.5 to 2.9, suspect they're running low on tree sap and the ground is still firmly frozen. Still got ice in all the field tanks, some tanks, a lot of ice.
    Bruce Treat
    825 Sugar Maple Taps
    3/16 w/ DSD .225 Spiles
    H2O RO
    H2O 2.5 X 8
    Bow, New Hampshire

Been pumping .75 gpt for the last 3 days so the runs are a little weak. Sugar popped back up yesterday with nothing below 2.0% and one at 2.7%. Grades still in the low 50's. Been hooking the filter press to the pans at the end of the boil, sure makes them look pretty and might be adding a couple points. Got new o-rings for the sap pumps. And, plus got a teenager, E, who likes to bottle 12 oz glass, those safety caps go on a little hard.
    Bruce Treat
    825 Sugar Maple Taps
    3/16 w/ DSD .225 Spiles
    H2O RO
    H2O 2.5 X 8
    Bow, New Hampshire

Frost starting out of the ground Friday. Still some ice in most of the field tanks, but that is about to change. Only pumped .3 gpt but the SC continued to rise to 2.5. Son #2 is coming with granddaughter to boil today. Think I'll do a Red Roof crankdown and try to one pass it to 6 or 7 for their boil. I usually two pass to 10 or 12. 23F overnight but a lot of wind so probably another weak flow once it warms up.
    Bruce Treat
    825 Sugar Maple Taps
    3/16 w/ DSD .225 Spiles
    H2O RO
    H2O 2.5 X 8
    Bow, New Hampshire

Man I wish I had that many sugars and sugar that high!!! Makes ROing go a lot quicker!!! I have a lot of reds but hey thats what I have!!! make the best of it!!! its still all fun!!!
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

www.willowcreeksugarhouse.com
    585 or so on Vacuum, about 35 on buckets/sap sacs
    Atlas Copco GVS 25A Rotary Vane vacuum pump
    MES horizontal electric releaser
    2x6 ss phaneuf Drop flue, Leader woodsaver blower, homemade hood
    300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP
    Its Here!!! 2024 season is here get busy!!!

Had visitors to watch the boil. Another weak .4 gpt last night, SC still low 2's. Today looks like another short flow with a freeze by 5PM. Probably let it all freeze in the field tanks. Suspect the ground hasn't unthawed and the trees are just low on bole sap. Almost at 50% of an average season.
    GD.jpg
    Bruce Treat
    825 Sugar Maple Taps
    3/16 w/ DSD .225 Spiles
    H2O RO
    H2O 2.5 X 8
    Bow, New Hampshire

It's good to see that you're at close to half crop. The sap isn't flowing that good here yet. I've made about 1/10 of a crop so far.

I did some harder crunching than usual and got 7% on my first pass, up from the usual 4 to 5%. I had a hard time on my second pass keeping the concentrate down to 14%. At one point I was at 19.5%.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Pretty cold out with a stiff breeze. All my orchards have signs of previous production. One, an old farm, has a number of outbuilding, one of which has an early arch. I had never gone in it because the building is collapsing and the brick chimney had been roofed over a long time ago. But I think this is an arch designed to hold two kettles so it would date around the Civil War, perhaps a little earlier. When I have some time after the season I'll get a better look at it.
    Bruce Treat
    825 Sugar Maple Taps
    3/16 w/ DSD .225 Spiles
    H2O RO
    H2O 2.5 X 8
    Bow, New Hampshire

Default Kettles

Here's the picture.Kettles.jpg
    Bruce Treat
    825 Sugar Maple Taps
    3/16 w/ DSD .225 Spiles
    H2O RO