+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Converting to oil

Default Converting to oil

When this season is done, the first thing is to start the conversion to oil, I have Algier sending me info , but I'm wondering what others have done to convert from wood. what size oil nozzel do you use on a 2x6? also will an ordinary beckett afg burner be sufficient, I think they are rated up to 3 gal/hr with the right setup. I will get ceramic board for the firebox, can I still leave the firebrick in and just go over it? it will be nice I can drop the evap down to floor level too!! more room for the preheater and hood.
    Jim & Charlene Desjardins
    Belchertown MA.

Had a good 13 year run, but circumstances ! and loss of tree use.. we are ending the Maple thing for now... maybe be back in a few years

www.Desjardinsmaple.com

facebook Jim Desjardins

can you use an old oil furnace? When I was boiling on Saturday a good friend of mine who was fixing my furnace was telling me that with all the people around switching from oil to gas I could get one free and most likely all the oil too.
    Jerome

I have no trouble getting burners and parts, and have an extra tank.. free oil is always nice though
    Jim & Charlene Desjardins
    Belchertown MA.

Had a good 13 year run, but circumstances ! and loss of tree use.. we are ending the Maple thing for now... maybe be back in a few years

www.Desjardinsmaple.com

facebook Jim Desjardins

Jim,The first thing you do is take out the brick because you don't want to hold the heat in the arch. then take apiece of 1/4 inch or so of steel and take the doors off. Cut the steel so that it has notches that way you can use the door hinge pins to hold the steel in place. then find the center and cut a hole for the oil burner. take out the grates and cut a piece of steel to lie in there. After that you get some ceramic blanket rated for 2600 deg and line it by running the blanket one direction then the other direction so there will be no gaps. make sure there is 2 layers on every thing and 3 around the fire box if there is more left lay it in there.To hold the blanket I used 6 5/16 bolts with washers. I used 3 on each side. Leader said I should use ss pins but I used hard bolts and they are holding so far. I am using A beckett afg oil burner with 4.00 gph hollow nozzle with the pump pressure turned up and a 5gph nose cone and she uses 4.98 gph of fuel. You also need a barmetric damper in the stack. Atleast that is how I did mine and it don"t get very warm in the shack!

!
    Blaisdell's Maple Farm
    started on a 2x2 pan in 2000 and now
    custom built oil fired 4x12 arch by me
    Thor pans Desinged by Thad Blaisdell
    4600 taps on a drop flue 8-4 split

+ Reply to Thread