+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scored a great coffee pot with adjustable temp!

I like that! Thanks for the drawing. If I don't have time to see how mine is wired for this year, I'll definitely check on it for next. Mine may be a bit different since it has an adjustable thermostat, but if I do indeed have two coils, the dial should still work for the keep hot function.
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Backyard hobby syrup maker on about 12 trees

I just did the same type of coffee pot rig for my first "mass" bottling last night; and here I thought I was being crazy! The only difference is I took a hanger and made 2 "W" shaped pieces to put the filters on top of. Poor man's "filter optimizer". I will say I never filtered the other way, but I love the word "optimizer" and did not love the idea of spending money on it (given that i'm already in over $1,000 for this hobby just this year...). Seemed to work well. Syrup was hot when I poured it out. Almost scalded myself a few times. Rookie....
    2023 - 40-ish taps (25-30 “effective” ones), tapped mostly in New Year’s Eve. 5 gallons of syrup.
    2022 - 70 taps - 12 gallons of syrup
    2021 - 72 taps ~ 8 gallons of syrup
    2020 - 8 taps on droplines into buckets, stove top boil, < 1 gallon syrup

A neighborhood consortium of red maple trees, a renegade group of neighborhood kids emptying 5 gallon buckets, a homemade RO, a 3 pan cinderblock evaporator near the street, and 1 very patient wife

I opened mine up last night and it only has one coil. and two thermostats, one fixed, and the adjustable one. I guess the single coil is due to it having an adjustable temperature once the fixed thermostat opens. At that point I assume it just cycles the single coil on and off as needed.
    Hudson Valley, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Ocelotsden View Post
    I only make 4-6 quarts per year, but I struggle a bit with the bottling part keeping at 190 degrees while bottling, etc. I had been using a stainless steel funnel and a big soup ladle. Anyway, I've read here about using coffee pots to bottle and I found this really nice stainless steel 60 cup pot. The cool thing about it is that it has a built in adjustable temperature thermostat, so I can just set it for 190 degrees, verify the temp and pour right into the bottles.

It's a little hard to see, but the temperature dial is behind the spout to the left of the green light and goes from 130* to 210*

Ray

Attachment 21975
    So when you use these to bottle you dump hot syrup into it, turn on, wait to heat up to 190 and does the syrup go up into vertical site glass on front like coffee does to show volume( if it does can you disassemble to clean afterwards?
    I'm asking b/c I'd like a way to bottle other than straight from my finisher( propane leader) that I have to turn off flame so doesn't burn bottom b/c I need to tip it at an angle to get it all out b/c outlet on finisher is up alittle high to empty

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt4sap View Post
    So when you use these to bottle you dump hot syrup into it, turn on, wait to heat up to 190 and does the syrup go up into vertical site glass on front like coffee does to show volume( if it does can you disassemble to clean afterwards?
    I'm asking b/c I'd like a way to bottle other than straight from my finisher( propane leader) that I have to turn off flame so doesn't burn bottom b/c I need to tip it at an angle to get it all out b/c outlet on finisher is up alittle high to empty
    I just used it for the first time to bottle on Sunday and it worked great. So much nicer than keeping the syrup hot on a double boiler and using a ladle and funnel.

To answer your question, Yes, the syrup goes up the glass tube like coffee. Since mine happens to have the adjustable temp, I stuck a thermometer probe into the pot and was easily able to keep the temperature adjusted to around 190. I prewarmed the pot with some water, dumped the water and poured in my syrup which was already hot. Then I just kept an eye on my thermometer and kept adjusting the temp dial as needed. To bottle, I just filled the syrup bottles like I would with a cup of coffee without spilling a drop, put on the lid, lay the bottle on it's side to heat the cap. and move on to the next.

When I was done, I used really hot water to clean it and ran it through the spout to clean that. The glass tube on mine was stuck and I didn't want to break it, so I removed the cap off the top of it and flushed it with hot water.
    Hudson Valley, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Ocelotsden View Post
    I just used it for the first time to bottle on Sunday and it worked great. So much nicer than keeping the syrup hot on a double boiler and using a ladle and funnel.

To answer your question, Yes, the syrup goes up the glass tube like coffee. Since mine happens to have the adjustable temp, I stuck a thermometer probe into the pot and was easily able to keep the temperature adjusted to around 190. I prewarmed the pot with some water, dumped the water and poured in my syrup which was already hot. Then I just kept an eye on my thermometer and kept adjusting the temp dial as needed. To bottle, I just filled the syrup bottles like I would with a cup of coffee without spilling a drop, put on the lid, lay the bottle on it's side to heat the cap. and move on to the next.

When I was done, I used really hot water to clean it and ran it through the spout to clean that. The glass tube on mine was stuck and I didn't want to break it, so I removed the cap off the top of it and flushed it with hot water.
    Just picked up same unit, hope I can get to use it!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12