+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scored a great coffee pot with adjustable temp!

Default Scored a great coffee pot with adjustable temp!

I only make 4-6 quarts per year, but I struggle a bit with the bottling part keeping at 190 degrees while bottling, etc. I had been using a stainless steel funnel and a big soup ladle. Anyway, I've read here about using coffee pots to bottle and I found this really nice stainless steel 60 cup pot. The cool thing about it is that it has a built in adjustable temperature thermostat, so I can just set it for 190 degrees, verify the temp and pour right into the bottles.

It's a little hard to see, but the temperature dial is behind the spout to the left of the green light and goes from 130* to 210*

Ray

coffee pot.jpg

Great find! One year we filtered 100 gallons through our coffee pot filter. You will be surprised how much warmer your syrup stays when it is enclosed.
    115 red maples on vacuum
    100 taps on 5/16 gravity
    35 taps on 3/16 gravity
    50 taps on shurflo vacuum
    about 60 buckets on giant roadside sugars
    neighbor bringing from 45 taps
    30'x 8' Aof/Auf Evaporator
    Homemade 125gph Ro
    Lots of Homemade Equipment!

http://s848.photobucket.com/albums/a...%20Sugarshack/

That is an awesome find! I have been using a 30 cup coffee urn for the last few years and they do make a difference! Have a good season!
    2024 - 16 taps - buckets on our best producing trees, still boiling on a block arch with slight modifications/refinements over the years.
    2021 - 25 taps - all buckets
    2013-2020 - 30/41 taps: discovering which trees were the best producers
    2012 - First year - 21 taps in our backyard - block arch evaporator with 3 steam table pans!

That will work really well, I would only set your temperature at 185 degrees.
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

Thanks for the tip. I was debating on a little lower.

Not sure about yours, but mine does a high heat cycle at first (it's trying to make coffee, after all). This made my first batch of syrup boil again, which released more niter. Now I put a cup or two of water in, turn the machine on, and once the pot clicks and the ready light turns on, I dump out the water and pour in the syrup. Just something to experiment with before your first run.

Thanks for the advice! When I'm ready to bottle I plan to put hot water in the pot, run it like I'm making coffee, and when it finishes and switches over to keep warm, dump the water and pour in the finished syrup.
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Backyard hobby syrup maker on about 12 trees

Another option is to do some minor surgery and disable the main heating element. It would save you from having to run it through the coffee cycle every time you want to use it.
    60ish taps on buckets
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    Turbo RB15 RO Bucket

PS - I ran across another image... to explain how I filter in the Urn... I set up a cone filter right inside the urn... which stays nice and hot with the lid on... I pre-heat syrup to 190 alternating between 2 pots on the electric stove... and transfer it to the urn, as we bottle, so the urn never has a reason to cool down or re-heat. (Just maintains). I think it works really well.

This is a 2nd filtering.... as I filter straight off the evaporator as well.

Urn.jpg
    Last edited by wmick; 02-22-2021 at 02:14 PM.

On mine, the "keep warm cycle" is running both elements in series, and the boiling cycle uses only one of them. When you first fire it up, a latching thermostat bypasses one of the elements, sending all the power to the heating element. Once up to boiling temperature, the latching thermostat opens and stays open... re-routing the power through both elements in series... (creating a lower wattage.... (ohms law)...

In order to rewire mine for syrup, I simply moved (repurposed) the on-off switch in series with the latching thermostat, to simulate the thermostat being open all the time, with the switch open.... If I want to make coffee, I would close the switch.

Urn Wiring.jpg
    Last edited by wmick; 02-22-2021 at 02:15 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast