Hi, I'm new to the forum and Syrup. This will only be my 3rd year making syrup. I'm extremely small time and only make one to one and a half gallons for personal use and some family and friends. I had this unique big heavy pan that I've been using the past two years over a large propane burner and it's worked well. The pan is high grade aluminum, but it's a full 1/4" thick aluminum! Since it's 21 inches in diameter and 5 1/2" deep, it holds over 6 gallons.

Anyway, I wanted to try wood this year, so I built a barrel stove, but I built it for that pan. I know ideally, a regular stainless rectangular pan is preferred, but since I make a small amount compared to everyone else here, I thought making the evaporator the way I did, I could use a grill grate and it would double as a barbeque cooking fire the rest of the time.

I cut part of a second 55 gallon drum, made the "ring" fit my big pan, and welded it to the burn drum.
Really hoping it works out well. It seemed to work fantastic when I test fired it with water.

Here's a couple pictures and also some of the syrup I made on that pan last year using propane. It was delicious!
Let me know what you think

IMG_2976.jpg

IMG_3391.jpg

IMG_3423.jpg