+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What pump to use for a ro?

Default What pump to use for a ro?

I’ve gotten down the membranes and housings etc. I hear the high the psi the higher brix you can push out?!?!? Setting up something for 300psi seems pretty easy with a pro-con fluid-o-tech or a Goulds multi stage with a low pressure feeder. I see a lot of these membranes are rated up to 600psi and I’m finding frp vessels that will take 1000psi. So if I wanted to get into the 500-550 psi range so where between 4-600gal/hr what pumps are being used. Looks like there multi stage boosters paired in line? Can the pump housings handle being plumbed in series?

I have a 30x8 leader with revolution pans. I’m going to have about 550 taps for 2021. 2022 around 1200 taps with expansion each year to a certain point untill 2500 taps I would say thats all I want to get into.
    I love the idea of a smaller rig, I’m mainly a one man show and it’s just easy to run and clean. My thought is higher the brix the least likely to have to get a larger evap. Most small units on the market seem to be more in the 200psi range? I know I could do a steam away........ but at that point I’d most likely just want to buy a larger rig. The steam always are super awesome but the resale value just isn’t there just for the unit and the over all value of the rig doesn’t really go up compared to the $10g you spend on them.

Any input would be great
    30x8 leader drop flue
    750 taps and counting
    Homebuilt RO
    20x30’ sugar house
    John Deere 3005
    Bobcat 753
    Kx91 excavator

So I am in the same boat as you with tap count. We are around 400 taps but looking to probably double that next year and need to build an RO to handle. I currently have a two post R/O with 4x40's that has worked great for our current numbers - but rapidly outgrowing.

I have started to put together the components to build a single 8x40 that will be expandable to atleast 2 - 8x40 posts. I just purchased a 5HP Goulds 3sv22 SS multi-stage high pressure pump to build my system around. This is a 3 phase motor so will need a VFD incorporated in the pump control. I will also have a SS feed pump and a SS recirc pump. Right now i am planning on using an extra SS Pro-con 240 GPH as my recirc pump (just because I have it lying around) but will be limited to around 250 - 300 PSI due to its max PSI rating, but am building everything rated to 450 PSI in case I decide to use a different recirc pump later. I like the idea of using a procon for a recirc pump as they do not generate the heat that the multi stage pumps will on the sap. Lastly, I will use a SS sprinkler pump for feed, probably a 1HP.

All plumbing will be 1-1.5" SS tubing with tri-clamp on the pressure side and 1" re-inforced clear tubing on the discharge sides.

Either 1 - 40" pre-filter housing or 2 - 20" housings.

High temp, high and low pressure shut-offs, .5-10 gpm flow meters on the concentrate and permeate lines and SS 1" needle valves.

Digital pressure switch:
    https://www.dwyer-inst.com/Product/P...ches/SeriesEDA

Multi-stage pump:
    https://goulds.com/centrifugal-pumps...tab-literature

Sounds like we are aiming to build similiar units. This is the start to the planning on mine. Want to get it built or at least layed out while I am in the maple frame of mind. Anyone else feel free to chime in on the good, the bad, or any recommendations.

Mike & Pat
    Belle Hollow Syrup
    Canaseraga, NY

Where did you get your membrane housing? Did you figure out your pump situation?
    Chad

2014: 12 taps, 5 gal buckets
    2015: 15 taps on bags
    2016: 150 taps: 100 on bags, 50 on 3/16" natural vac, 2x8 AUF/AOF Homebuilt Arch, 2x8 SL Drop Flu & Auto Draw, SL Propane Canner/Bottler
    2017: 225 taps: Built Lean to, Added SL hood, preheater, concentric exhaust, SL SS 7" SB Filter Press
    2018: 180 taps: Added Shurflo to 50 - 3/16", Auto fill sensor to head tank
    2019: No tapping
    2020: 175 taps
    2021: 300 taps, homemade RO and releaser
    2022: 600+ taps

I am awaiting quotes from 2 suppliers on the 8x40 housings - will let you know when I get them back.

As far as pumps - I purchased the goulds 3sv22 5HP high pressure multi-stage pump (3 phase so need a VFD. Going with the Cerrus X-Drive that MES offers 10HP)
    - I am going to buy a 1ST Goulds SS 1.5HP pump for the feed pump
    - Plan right now on using my 240GPM series 5 procon for the recirculation pump.

Do you have an approximate idea on how much your build will cost?
    Chad

2014: 12 taps, 5 gal buckets
    2015: 15 taps on bags
    2016: 150 taps: 100 on bags, 50 on 3/16" natural vac, 2x8 AUF/AOF Homebuilt Arch, 2x8 SL Drop Flu & Auto Draw, SL Propane Canner/Bottler
    2017: 225 taps: Built Lean to, Added SL hood, preheater, concentric exhaust, SL SS 7" SB Filter Press
    2018: 180 taps: Added Shurflo to 50 - 3/16", Auto fill sensor to head tank
    2019: No tapping
    2020: 175 taps
    2021: 300 taps, homemade RO and releaser
    2022: 600+ taps

Any chance of getting the costs as well as what housings you used any updates of the build with the Gould’s 3phase. I’ve seen these in the d&g catalog and just curious. A friend of mine bought a cheaply built 120gph that someone is building and selling on c-list. Not crazy about it as it’s only making 5 bricks, and it’s being used to ro 600 taps on a 30”x10.... 🥸but it is working and saving some wood and time. So now after the season I’m dead set on ethier a 4post 4” setup or a 2post 8”. But need as much constructive criticism as possible. Pumps, controllers, housings, where does the recirculating pump tie in, etc?
    30x8 leader drop flue
    750 taps and counting
    Homebuilt RO
    20x30’ sugar house
    John Deere 3005
    Bobcat 753
    Kx91 excavator

Love to get more info on your build looking to do the same thing!

+ Reply to Thread