+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sap feed line size

Default Sap feed line size

What size line is everyone feeding their evaporator with? On our 2x6 we used a 3/4" braided stainless line coming from our head tank with no problems. Now with a 2x8 we are questioning if this will be enough. It seems like a 3/4" line should flow around a gallon a minute? I dont think we would evaporate at that rate? Thoughts...
    West Sumner Sugar House
    West Sumner, ME
    500 +/- Taps - 2 x 8 CDL Venturi - 3 Shurflo Solar Systems - MES Dolly 300
    https://www.facebook.com/WestSumnerSugarHouse

i have a 2.5 x 8 raised flu...boil about 60-65 gph my feed line is 1 1/4". that is what the float outlet is set up for... thus that's what i went with. i feel it is far, far better to have more sap supply than you'll need, vs the other end! when the rig is up and running at full tilt, the sap is pouring out if it!
    Awfully thankful for an understanding wife!

“The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.”
    - Vincent “Vince” Lombardi

Good luck to all!

Gallon a minute sounds like enough... Curious - where did you get that number? I presume its gravity feed. How much ft of head do you have?
    I previously used a 1/2" line, and found out very quickly that it wasn't enough when my tank was getting close to empty and the boil got raging... Not enough head pressure. (luckily no catastrophe)
    I increased it to 1-1/4" and am much more confident now, that I can get a decent jag in a hurry, if something starts to go wrong and I need it.

PS - I think I average about 20 GPH on my 2x6.
    Last edited by wmick; 02-18-2021 at 03:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wmick View Post
    Gallon a minute sounds like enough... Curious - where did you get that number? I presume its gravity feed. How much ft of head do you have?
    I previously used a 1/2" line, and found out very quickly that it wasn't enough when my tank was getting close to empty and the boil got raging... Not enough head pressure. (luckily no catastrophe)
    I increased it to 1-1/4" and am much more confident now, that I can get a decent jag in a hurry, if something starts to go wrong and I need it.

PS - I think I average about 20 GPH on my 2x6.
    That number was a complete guess. I will probably upgrade to a 1" line. I hope that is enough because we have a whole manifold system that our RO hooks up to that allows us to run pure sap, connect to the RO and run concentrate with just a flip of a few valves...thats all plumbed 1".
    West Sumner Sugar House
    West Sumner, ME

We use a 1” feed line. Our evaporator will do 50+ GPH. We like the clear pvc so we can see the sap. More expensive but nice to have.
    305 taps on 2 Shurflo's, 31 taps on 3/16" and 229 taps on gravity. 565 in all
    Mountain Maple S3 controller for 145 of the vacuum taps
    2x6 Darveau Mystique Oil Fired Evaporator w/ Smoky Lake Simplicity Auto Draw
    Wesfab 7” filter press

We have a 1-1/2" clear PVC. Definitely worth having a clear feed line.
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

I have a 3x8 with a 3/4" line. When I push it hard I get up to 85 gal/hr. Never had an issue. My head tank bottom is about 24" above the inlet float box, if that helps. My feed line is about 6' long
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    I have a 3x8 with a 3/4" line. When I push it hard I get up to 85 gal/hr. Never had an issue. My head tank bottom is about 24" above the inlet float box, if that helps. My feed line is about 6' long
    That sounds pretty darn close to what we have now for height and length so it might be ok as is. Thanks!
    West Sumner Sugar House
    West Sumner, ME

It would depend on the sap concentration I would say. The evaporation rate may stay the same but pure throughput would change as the concentration level changes. At 2 to 15% incoming sap you would be fine (that may be higher) at 30% incoming sap more comes off the rig and while that is not a huge different I would say you should upsize at higher concentration levels to give you the protection when needed. We have a 2'' stainless feed line which works well, but if I was going from scratch I would have upsized for safety as well and just filling the evap after cleaning. Hope this helps.

Resurrecting this thread. I have similar questions for the feed from my head tank. Sorry no photos. 275 tote, 4' outlet height, I had a 1/2" feed last year and it didn't seem like it was enough when I did a draw off. I'm max 20gph, roberts valve for a float, and a whole lot of ball valve throttling. I felt like the engineer on Polar Express when they are on the ice.
    So, what I did this year was change all copper and PVC to stainless 1/2" around the pans. I put a 1/2" pex in as a feed. That goes to a "T" for my bucket RO, (I run the RO during the boil), then another "T" for the "Oh s@#t" bucket, then to my float box. Would I benefit increasing my feed line size out of the head tank to the first "T"? that piece is only about 2' long. I can try and get a photo as well. Thanks!
    2014 6 Taps Block Arch and momas canning pot, 3 gallons YIKES

2019 100 taps and a new adventure with a home built arch.

2020 90 taps, my wife and I and a Bucket RO...

2021 112 taps and a modified Bucket RO.

2022 120 taps, modified Bucket RO a Wife, Son and Springer

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast