+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2021 Can I improve?

Default 2021 Can I improve?

http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...o-looking-back
    So that was last year. I am going to see if I can avoid the same mistakes I made last year.

I put in some taps 2/15 (8) and then 5 more 2/16. I have I think 5 more taps I can put in. I have one tree I didn't tap last year, 2 young ones that I haven't tapped yet, and 1 more red maple that I can get 2 taps into pretty easily. This year I made sure I was tapping deep enough (2-2.25") and also I didn't mash the tap in as deep as it could go. I also (and you will probably have a stroke with you see them) have 2 taps each in 3 trees that are about 4" in diameter! I have to cut them down this year anyway, which I should have done last year, as they have no room to grow and they are bent over at a 45 degree angle trying to get sun, so they will never get a crown. Not to mention, they are in the way on the edge of the yard.

Ok anyway back to the trees.

I am going to talk to my neighbor and see if I can tap the 2-3 maple trees in his yard also. I might be able to get up to over 20 taps this year!

I am going to have to boil in a different spot this year though, probably down by the driveway because of the snow. I had hoped to get an actual boiling pan this year for the grill I bought, but with funds being a bit tight, there will probably be no additions this year, aside from hopefully a few new taps! Looking forward to hopefully this weekend or early next week to get some fresh goodness!
    2020 - 1st year 14 taps 1 Gallon Jugs + 4x 5-Gallon Buckets + Propane Grill + lots of headaches so far
    2021 - 2nd year - 19 Taps

Your doing good! Keep boiling!
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    600 roadside taps
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors

www.mapleandhoney.com

We'll never run out of opportunity for improvement and things to try... Part of the addiction I think Good luck this year.

All my trees are rented from neighbors. It can be done. Just have to work at it. Keep your systems balanced as you grow.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    600 roadside taps
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors

www.mapleandhoney.com

I got the OK from my neighbor to tap his 2 large maple trees! They are DEF big enough to put 2 taps in. I promised him some syrup. I am going to have him and his family (wife and 2 year old daughter) over while I am doing it too if he wants. Let him see it from his bucket to his table :-)
    2020 - 1st year 14 taps 1 Gallon Jugs + 4x 5-Gallon Buckets + Propane Grill + lots of headaches so far
    2021 - 2nd year - 19 Taps

+ Reply to Thread