+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 3/16” taps and tubing into 5gal

Default 3/16” taps and tubing into 5gal

Hi gentlemen and women, this will be my second year doing maple syrup, last year we had a 2x4 flat pan this year we bought a 2x6 divided pan from Smokey lake and built our own Arch, I think we caught the bug! My question is I bought 3/16” taps and tubing and 5gal pails, is the 3/16” taps and tubing to small for gravity into a pail?

If you're asking if you'll get any vacuum going into a 5 gal pail, then no unfortunately. I had the same thought a few years ago, but there isn't enough drop to cause vacuum. 3/16" into a 5 gal pail is still a good setup, though - you just won't get any vacuum.
    Dave Barker
    2014 30 taps, steam tray pans
    2015 ~100 taps, in conjunction with University of Louisville
    2x5 Smoky Lake hybrid pan
    2022 150 taps

If you place the bucket at least 5 or 6 feet lower than the end of the tubing you'll gain some vacuum, Longer would be better. Are you placing a bucket at each tree or running a few in line to one bucket?
    Last edited by NhShaun; 02-17-2021 at 11:29 AM.
    6th season solo sugar maker in a young sugar bush of mostly red maples
    320 taps
    2x6 self built arch, Flat pans w/ dividers
    New 12x16 sugar house
    CDL hobby 250 RO

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by NhShaun View Post
    If you place the bucket at least 5 or 6 feet lower than the end of the tubing you'll gain some vacuum, Longer would be better. Are you placing a bucket at each tree or running a few in line to one bucket?
    This is true, as long as you don't have to tap higher on the tree than you normally would to accomplish the drop in height. If you tap higher up on the stem, and put the bucket at the base, you will gain natural vacuum from the dropline, but lose head pressure by moving the spout up to do it. In effect, the two cancel each other out (or you actually LOSE due to the imperfect transfer of energy).

In other words, some of the pressure in the stem of a tree is already present due to gravity. The lower you tap the higher the head pressure. If you tap higher, you lower the head pressure. Physics dictates you can't get something from nothing.

To make this work and actually gain vacuum, you need to put the bucket lower down the slope.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Thank you all for the replies, I was wonder about the vacuum a little bit but not to big of a deal to me, I was wondering more if the 3/16” taps were to small and if it would be better to go with 5/16 taps? The reason I bought 3/16” taps was the hope to do less damage to the trees but don’t want to end up with a lot less sap either.

I didn't want to say anything since you already laid out for the 3/16 but you would probably be better off with 5/16 taps and tubing for the drops. Even if you go to 3/16 gravity tubing later there are 5/16 --> 3/16 tees.
    2024 - New Maine resident, 12X12 sugar shack under construction
    2019 - New 12X12 boiling pavilion
    2018 - New Mason 2X3 Hobby XL and homemade RO

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by Huntingfishstick View Post
    I was wondering more if the 3/16” taps were to small and if it would be better to go with 5/16 taps?
    When you say 3/16" taps, do you mean the spout tip diameter (the part going into the tree) or the tubing connector end? Most spouts are 5/16" (or 19/64", or 1/4"), but can have either 5/16" or 3/16" tubing connectors. There are some microspouts, with 5/32" or 3/16" tips, but these are fairly uncommon.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

I am debating replacing 9 buckets and lids with pails. The problem is I have already drilled the holes and have 5/16 spouts in them. The spouts are drilled 1/64 wider than the spouts I use for lines.

Is it okay to pull the bucket spouts out and tap in the spouts I use for lines? I only put the spouts in 3 days ago.

I know it is a crazy question.

Thanks
    2022 - 5 pan block arch - 109 taps, 73 on 3/16 lines, 36 on drops into 5 gallon pails.
    930 gallons boiled, 109 L (28.8 gals) of delicious syrup made.
    DYI Vacuum Filter
    2023 - 170 taps, mostly on lines, 1153 gallons boiled, 130 L (34.34 gals) of delicious syrup made, on a 2x4 divided pan and base stack, 8” pipe, on a block arch that boiled at a rate of 13 gallons per hour.
    2024 - made 48 L, December to March, primarily over two fire bowls.

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    To make this work and actually gain vacuum, you need to put the bucket lower down the slope.
    I don't have anything to test vacuum, but here's a long drop line! (3/16") https://photos.app.goo.gl/5vbBkrgaSfi8XDDbA

While I do hope it increases output, I just did this to make that tree accessible, since I'm all on buckets.

Gabe
    2016: Homemade arch from old wood stove; 2 steam tray pans; 6 taps; 1.1 gal
    2017: Same setup. 15 taps; 4.5 gal
    2018: Same setup. Limited time. 12 taps and short season; 2.2 gal
    2019: Very limited time. 7 taps and a short season; 1.8 gals
    2020: New Mason 2x3 XL halfway through season; 9 taps 2 gals
    2021: Same 2x3, 18 taps, 4.5 gals
    2022: 23 taps, 5.9 gals
    2023: 23 taps. Added AUF, 13.2 gals
    2024: 17 taps, 5.3 gals
    All on buckets

That should create some vacuum.