+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thinking about retiring, seriously!

Only 74, don't age me faster. The issue didn't start until I was put on a blood thinner because I got a blood clot in my leg. Before that a few years ago, I was ok working outside until the wind chill or actual temperature without any wind got to about -10F, now +30F can be a problem in relatively short order. Just 5-6 years ago I had planned to continue making syrup for about another 10 years, well, it won't happen.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce L View Post
    Dave,sorry to hear that you’re retiring from sugar making. Like you,sometimes I have to wonder why we are killing ourselves continuing on with no one to take over. I am the 7th generation and probably the last. Both our sons are more interested in gaming than working,hoping someday one of them would grow up to take over,but at 26 and 24 doesn’t look to promising. Sugar making is an art that has to be learned,you can’t jump into it overnight.
    I have 4 kids, and 8 grandchildren. My kids are 51, son, 48, daughter, 42 son and 35 daughter, the oldest son helps 1 or 2 weekends a year. Grandkids 28 M, 26 F, 26M, 20 F, 12 M, 9F, 6F and 4F. nobody seems to want to take over, I at one time thought the 26 yr old grandson might, he worked with me from age 7 until he finished college, now the Navy has his full attention The 12 yr old grandson likes working with grandpa but he doesn't seem interested in taking over in a few years. I guess I'm just a 1 generation maple syrup producer, it was fun for about 18 out of the last 19 years.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Oops I apologize. I only have 50 trees on buckets and have to trudge thru the snow to collect. if i can do it when I'm 74 I" be happy.

Tough decision to make but I fully understand. At least your going to keep your hands dirty by continuing to process syrup and make your bb aged syrup. I wish you nothing but the best in the future. I know you'll be on the trader.
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

Oh yes, I'll be on the trader. There's an old saying "those who can, do, those who can't, teach"
    From back when I first started in 2003 I was impressed how so many who were long time maple producers took the time to give me pointers. I made a promise to myself at that time, that I would help others as much as I could once I gained a little knowledge. Now that I have gained the "little" knowledge I'll continue trying to help others learn, as long as I can.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye gold View Post
    I sell firewood too, Dave. I just got back from a delivery, people always want it in the middle of a storm. I have backed way off the firewood though as it was a hassle dealing with people that wanted to stiff you. I actually started supplying camp firewood bundles to stores this winter and that is out pacing regular wood sales by a good bit. Heck I get 2.5 times the money out of a load, by selling bundles.
    If I go the firewood route it will be just bundled firewood, no home deliveries, I did home deliveries in the 1980's, seldom even got a thank you from about 30%, complained about how the load dumped (from our 1 ton dump truck). Besides lots more money in bundled.

Always sad to hear but totally understandable. I wouldn’t count that 26 year old grandson out just yet though. Sounds like helping you for so long he will likely enjoy it in his later years. Prob not worth keeping everything around in hopes but I bet he will tap that bush again. I had no intentions or thoughts of sap/syrup when I was 26 lol now I’m addicted lol. Take care and thanks for sticking around trader to help us noobs.
    225 taps 180 on vac 45 on natural gravity lines.
    2x6 drop flue with auto draw.
    Home built 3 x400gpd ro
    2017 kubota M7060hdcc12
    2019 can am defender

2017- first year 80 taps 22x36 home made arch and pan.

I didn't start tapping until I was 30. I'm now 35 and I love it. The main reason I started was I remembered doing it with my grandpa when I was youthful. Going out on the old artic cat with the hand drill hanging buckets... sometimes when you get older and settle down things from your youth come back. Hopefully that's the case and your family continues the tradition.
    Jake
    smoky lake 2x6 drop flue SSR on homemade arch
    235 taps on 2 gast 1550s and lappiere releasers
    24x12 sugar house
    2019 Kubota L2501 work horse

Thanks Dave for all your advice over the years. It really has been helpful

2020: 317 taps, 2021: 360, 2022: 350 2023: 300, 2024: 230 (getting smarter)
    Drop lines and hanging buckets, all hand lugged
    2 X 6 raised flue evaporator
    7in. Filter press
    17 HP Kubota tractor
    12 X 16' sugar shack
    Sugar and red maples

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123