+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about retiring, seriously!

Dave,
    I guess the time comes when we all will have to make that decision. the big choice will be yours in the long run. Just what you want to do more of syrup or blacksmithing. I believe you also have some acreage of blueberries if memory serves me correctly.
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

Dave,

We will almost always second guess ourselves and struggle over letting go of things that have structured our lives for so long. If your body and heart are telling you it's time, then cut it loose. Add the spice of doing something new and stay active. Just don't quit on life and waste away in a recliner. I know you won't, but had to say it. Sometimes changing up restores some excitement
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

Dave,
    Good luck in what ever you take on next in life. Always a great contributor here on maple items, that can be a warmer spot to still provide input to others also.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

No need to worry about me keeping busy, I still do plenty, I just won't be doing things outside when the weather tells me to do something where it's warmer in cold weather nor cooler in the heat of summer. However, I will likely never move south, or at least not to the hot south, neither my wife nor me can stand hot weather either. Another thing I'm considering is selling firewood. If I go that direction I'll look real hard at the Eastonmade Axis splitter with the conveyor The AXIS has a log lift and you stand upright when using it, besides, with a single but wide wedge one can make lots of smaller firewood in a hurry. Then I might buy some bags for firewood, maybe ones that hold about 1/2 face cord and 1 face cord of 16", make a holder to fill them right off the conveyor, and move them with my excavator or tractor. If I go that route I'll sell my Super Split, It's real fast, but lifting heavy blocks off the ground gets to me real fast. This past year I used my excavator with a thumb to lift any blocks that were too big to lift by hand, the year before that my brother in law lifted them because we worked together. He's also calling it quits, and he needs a new knee. Because of Covid I worked alone in the sugarhouse. My BIL did help tap because we were done tapping before the Covid shutdown. He did help pull taps.
    Yes, Pdiamond, I still have 4.5 acres of blueberries, which have not gotten enough attention since I became consumed by maple. I'll then be able to devote more time to the blueberries
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I sell firewood too, Dave. I just got back from a delivery, people always want it in the middle of a storm. I have backed way off the firewood though as it was a hassle dealing with people that wanted to stiff you. I actually started supplying camp firewood bundles to stores this winter and that is out pacing regular wood sales by a good bit. Heck I get 2.5 times the money out of a load, by selling bundles.
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

You could also look at doing value added maple products.
    Smoky Lake 2x6 dropflu pans and hoods on homemade arch
    Smoky Lake 6 gallon water jacked bottler
    Concentric Exhaust
    250 Deer Run RO
    325 taps

I only do 1 value added product, bourbon barrel aged maple syrup. While we've made some other value added products for home use, I have no interest in doing them on a larger scale.
    By the way, I will be listing a whole array of equipment for sale, in the classifieds and in The Maple News.
    A quick, partial list here, 415 gal Sunset Tank with valve and lids, 545 gal Sunset tank with valve and lids and a Mueller approximately 300 gal tank with valve and lids, Each of the above will sell without the valve for $1.00 per gal capacity for the first 3. The valves will sell for $100 (valve on the 415, and $50 on the valves a brand unknown approx 200 gal, homemade covers $100, valve $50, a 1000 gal surge non vacuum tank, inner tank is good, outer skin is very rough $700, valve $50, and finally an old outer tank, brand unknown capacity about 800-850 gal, no bottom valve, it has just a small copper drain under the tank at one end $600 with homemade lids covering all except where the BHR double vertical releaser sat. BHR vertical mechanical releaser with new seals kit, rated for 2500 taps $750, BB4 vacuum pump (gives me 27" vacuum on 400 taps) $400, Sobles double horizontal releaser (rated for 1000 taps, can be upgraded to 1500 taps by changing the solid covers for flap valved covers on the second ends of the 2 chambers $500, moisture trap $150, Deer Run 250 gph RO, $2500 with 2 new MES membranes, 3x8 Thor raised flue evaporator with 10" tall flues, copper pre-heater, drip tray in a 3x5 flue pan, full hood over flue pan, raised hood over 3x3 syrup pan boils 75-80 GPH as set up, with HP AOF,AUF when fired using good well split wood, same side draw off, $7,000, auto draw $400 with 2 temp probes, 1 -15 gal CDL SS keg $125 "sold", 16 gal 4 SS barrels $100 ea. "sold", 4 SS barrels 26.5 gal $140 ea., I may in the future also have 2 or 3 more, with "Dave&Joan's Sugarhouse" etched on the top for about $125 ea. "sold" plus other assorted equipment. I almost forgot, I have a SS draw off tank that is on wheels and holds about 26-28 gal of syrup, with an outlet port. Height is adjustable, $300.
    When all is available, you must pick it up, I will not deliver it, but I can load it on your trailer or flatbed truck. The 200 gal and the 800+ gal tanks are heavy, my excavator can lift them but you will need to back under them. Must be cash only, sorry, no checks please, unless you pay long enough in advance of pick-up for the check to clear, or bring a bank letter guaranteeing the check for the amount it will be written for, or for a maximum limit which equals or exceeds what you will be buying. When I have things ready for sale I will post pictures both on this site and in The Maple News.
    Last edited by maple flats; 02-21-2021 at 09:37 AM. Reason: some items sold
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Dave,sorry to hear that you’re retiring from sugar making. Like you,sometimes I have to wonder why we are killing ourselves continuing on with no one to take over. I am the 7th generation and probably the last. Both our sons are more interested in gaming than working,hoping someday one of them would grow up to take over,but at 26 and 24 doesn’t look to promising. Sugar making is an art that has to be learned,you can’t jump into it overnight. We are staying at it as long as we can,it’s for the love of it,not the money. Were I able to get over the border I would be interested in your large tank,we throw away 1000’s of gallons of distillate from the steam away every year,that could instead be used for clean up at the end of the year
    7th generation maple producer in sugarhouse built in 1892
    2x World Champion Maple Syrup Producer
    1250 taps on cv adapters
    Leader Vortex 3x14 with Max Flue and Revolution Syrup Pan,Enhanced Steam Away
    www.leggettmaplesyrup.com

Reading that you are 75 , gives me encouragement that I have at least 9 more years of sugaring.

Decision updated. Because of the coating of ice we got, then buried under a few inches of snow, my downed lines will be frozen in. I thus cancelled a 3 man team for Saturday, My oldest son, his significant other and his son (now 28) were going to come. I've now moved my retirement to now. I will as a result be selling everything I mentioned above. I will post pictures in the classifieds and in The Maple News as I get them. Everything listed above is now for sale, but much of it will only be ready to go as the temperatures get warm enough to get them cleaned up and presentable. In the next week or 2 I'll start posting pictures, but not everything will be shown in the beginning. The sale starts now, email dave@cnymaple.com with questions or to arrange a pick-up.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast