+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about retiring, seriously!

Default Thinking about retiring, seriously!

Since my Dr put me on a blood thinner about 5 yrs ago, I get cold far easier than ever before. As a result, I'm thinking very seriously about making this my last season making maple syrup. Another reason, my brother-in-law says this is his last year too. I have two ideas, have not decided which I'll do yet. #1, sell my 3x8 evaporator, my spare 3x3 syrup pan, my auto draw and my RO, my sap tanks (a 415 gal Sunset, A 545 gal Sunset and a 300 +/- gal Mueller all with covers and valves, my 1000 gal SS permeate tank and 3 other tanks, all SS, but homemade covers. Then buy bulk syrup, pack it in retail containers and continue to sell syrup. Or #2, sell also my water jacketed bottler, my foot controlled valve dispenser on the bottler, my 2x6 propane finisher, my 5 bank 7" filter press and all associated equipment and get out of maple completely. Then turn my sugarhouse into a blacksmith shop. I'm tending to lean towards option #1, but not sure yet.
    Dave
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Sorry to hear you aren't dealing with the cold very well these days. When my fingers go numb working on tubing or tapping i just think how much worse it could be if there were mosquitos and black flies all around me. It doesn't help warm me up but it certainly makes the suffering a little more bearable. Option #1 sounds more appropriate to help you ease out of the sugaring if your end goal is option#2. Both options will allow you to stay warm and likely more well rested, that's for sure. I'm sure you won't have a hard time selling your equipment which would help fund whatever path you take.
    6th season solo sugar maker in a young sugar bush of mostly red maples
    320 taps
    2x6 self built arch, Flat pans w/ dividers
    New 12x16 sugar house
    CDL hobby 250 RO

Good luck with whatever you decide Dave. Hopefully you can still stay involved with syrup in some way, shape or form. Find something to keep busy and keep moving, sounds like blacksmithing may be your ticket. I truly believe staying active is key to health in the elder years based on our experiences with my 4 grandparents who all made it to 90+ and my wife's parents who never saw 70. Gotta stay busy!!
    If you do sell out and separate stuff, I'd be interested in the RO. We need to do something for next season.
    305 taps on 2 Shurflo's, 31 taps on 3/16" and 229 taps on gravity. 565 in all
    Mountain Maple S3 controller for 145 of the vacuum taps
    2x6 Darveau Mystique Oil Fired Evaporator w/ Smoky Lake Simplicity Auto Draw
    Wesfab 7” filter press

Hey Dave,

Sorry to hear the news. You definitely have a plan that will allow you to dip your feet in the water - or out of the water. Next year, maybe just do the bulk thing, but keep all your stuff just in case civilian life doesn't agree with you.

No matter what, wait until May before you re-evaluate. Right now, my arms are killing me from pulling icy laterals all morning - and I'm ready to throw it in (or at least take the rest of the day off. In May, I'll still be making my shopping list for Bascom's spring sale!

Sean
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

I read a lot of your posts and am sorry to hear the news. In the end you have to do what right for you, but personally I like option 1 better than option 2 so that you can still stay involved in a manor that doesn't hurt the body as much. There are other options out there also but out of the 2 you have picked this would help ease the pain of leaving I think. Hopefully the rest of the season goes well for you!!!

Dave,
    Good luck with whatever makes you happy.
    Maybe hang on to the equipment and do the buy bulk and resell option and see how you feel about it after a year or so.
    We had one of our association members retire, buy bulk, and resell retail and was very happy with his decision.

Jim
    Last edited by Father & Son; 02-15-2021 at 03:19 PM.
    12 x 16 Sugarhouse, 12 x 16 Woodshed
    2 x 8 “The Mutt” Evaporator with Marcland Drawoff
    Leader oil fired arch, Dallaire raised flue, Smoky Lake syrup pan and hoods with pre-heater
    New Leader Clear Filter Press/Air Diaphragm Pump
    5” Hand Pump Filter Press from Daryl-One of the first three! On loan to a friend.
    Deer Run 250 gal/hr RO
    A Very Understanding Wife
    "At any time during the day you're only 10 seconds from disaster!"

Dave I am sorry to hear your situation. I have seen a good sugarmaker in my area recently retire and could tell it is a hard decision. I second the hold on to equipment and see how it feels in a year or 2. But as I text this my arthritis bothers me also and I wonder when the day will come for me. I have learned a lot from this site and you sir have been a steady contributor for the good of the industry. For that I say thank you and wish you the best.

If you do end up retiring this community would certainly miss your participation!
    John
    2x8 Smokylake drop flue with AOF/ AUF
    180 taps on sacks
    75 on 3/16 tubing with shurflo
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota

Dave,
    Good luck with which ever option you end up doing. A friend of ours decided to become a blacksmith in retirement and he really enjoys it.
    Gary
    16' X 24' Sugarhouse
    2' X 6' Leader Inferno Arch with Revolution Raised-Flue Pans, Smoky Lake preheater and hood
    Deer Run Maple gas-powered 250 RO
    WesFab 7" filter press
    Kubota 1100 RTV with tracks and 125 gallon tank for transporting sap
    800 taps on gravity and vacuum
    Very supportive wife who is the best coworker
    http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...ing-Sugarhouse

Thanks for the comments, but since my Dr told me I will be on blood thinner for the rest of my life, and ever since I was put on the blood thinner I've had a hard time keeping warm working outside when the temperatures are in the 20's or colder, coupled with the fact that I have no one in the line waiting to take over, I see no reason to keep the evaporator or the RO and all of the tanks. Someone else can put them to good use.
    I am leaning heavily toward the option of buying bulk (but only from a few local sources) and packing it for retail sales. I say only from local suppliers because I firmly believe each region has it's own soils and conditions that contribute to the maple taste in that region, and I have a large following who like my syrup. In fact, in the last 5 years I've supplemented my syrup with some bought from others locally. I will just expand that effort.
    At 74 years of age, I think this is a good option for me.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast