+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question about freezing valve on head tank

Quote Originally Posted by raptorfan85 View Post
    Your can drill a hole in the side of a ball valve to allow the sap to drain from the ball when its in the closed position. It won't affect the operation of the valve either.
    That's brilliant.

I like the plug on the end of a rod, too.

Two great ideas.
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

Does anyone have a picture of a ball valve with the hole drilled in it? Maybe this is very straight forward. I have a stainless head tank that it would be nice to leave sap in overnight if i had the next day off to boil instead of pulling an all night boiling party for one. I just purchased a new stainless ball valve for the tank and I am worried about it freezing in the closed position if the temps drop. I have heard of this method but never had the guts to drill a new 50 dollar valve. Maybe if I saw a picture my nerve might grow. I assume in the closed position you are aiming for the center of the ball for lack of a better word. I do try to boil all the sap in nightly but this would be a nice option if I could figure out the drill point. Thanks

19x48 mini pro oil fired, Nano R/O, CDL Vacuum Press,Mountain Maple Vacuum setup
    6x12 sugar house off back of shed
    2024-103 Taps Mostly Sugars, Dozen Reds
    "The days are long, but the years are short"

Close the ball valve and come in from the discharge side and drill a hole in the center of the "ball".
    Smoky Lake 2x6 dropflu pans and hoods on homemade arch
    Smoky Lake 6 gallon water jacked bottler
    Concentric Exhaust
    250 Deer Run RO
    325 taps

Remove the valve from the outlet, install a length of tubing on the outlet long enough to have the end higher than the tank. Install the valve on the end of the tubing and tie or secure it so the valve is above the liquid level in the tank. The tubing may freeze but the valve will be dry.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Sapper View Post
    Close the ball valve and come in from the discharge side and drill a hole in the center of the "ball".
    You can do it this way, but what i do is this. Close the valve so the open part of the ball is going sideways. Then drill a small hole in the side of the valve body that lines up with the hole in the ball. That way when the valve is closed the liquid drains out the side and when the valve is open the ball covers the drilled hole.
    Jake
    smoky lake 2x6 drop flue SSR on homemade arch
    235 taps on 2 gast 1550s and lappiere releasers
    24x12 sugar house
    2019 Kubota L2501 work horse

Another method I've used is to have 2 ball valves in series. When shutting down, close the valve closest to the tank, then open the second valve to empty it, then close that valve (now empty) and open the valve closest to the tank and leave it open. Freezing will not burst it because the expansion is free to move towards the tank. I did this method on 1.5" lines coming to the road from a tank 900+' away and about 15' higher. I never had a valve fail when I used this method. In that case the 1.5" transfer line was blue maple tubing. When using the method on a tank, make sure the valve is close to the tank, or it must have some maple tubing between the tank and the valve. Maple tubing can take the freeze thaw, a long length of copper for instance would burst.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I have yet to try the two ball valve idea, but I really like it and will keep it in mind for future setup.

Thank you for the reply's. I definitely understand the concept now and will try it on the valve. I really like the idea of the two valves in series as well. I would never have thought to do that but it makes sense. I will def. do that when I expand the sugar-house ( I hope my wife did not see me type that
    Looks like I will finally tap this weekend or by mid week. Thanks for all the valuable advice as usual.

19x48 mini pro oil fired, Nano R/O, CDL Vacuum Press,Mountain Maple Vacuum setup
    6x12 sugar house off back of shed
    2024-103 Taps Mostly Sugars, Dozen Reds
    "The days are long, but the years are short"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12