+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need Opinion on Tapping Big Old Trees Previously Tapped by Others

Default Need Opinion on Tapping Big Old Trees Previously Tapped by Others

My new sugarbush expansion is on leased land. It has about 700 taps with many large hard maples. My challenge is that it has been used on and off as a sugarbush for a long time - I can spot the old sugarhouse on a 1942 aerial photo.

So my question is how to structure my tapping protocol. It's not clear that the prior operations used any method. Most trees seem to have old tap holes in concentrated areas and not systematically located. Since they're mostly large diameter trees, I could work the areas that appear to be mostly free of old tap holes and offset horizontally and vertically each future year. My other option would be to tap below the lateral since all of the visible old holes are up high. This below-the-lateral program would allow me to start fresh in hopefully clean wood, better identify my old tapholes during future seasons, and may be healthier for the tree.

Any thoughts?

Other info:
    - I'm on high vac
    - The trees are generally very healthy, tall, with large canopies. Many are 30" plus diameter.

Thanks for any advice. I feel like I have a team of professional maple consultants!

Ken
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

I'd start low and only put in two taps per tree and no more.
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

I only do two taps per tree in accordance with good tapping practices for high vacuum.
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO

For trees that big, I would make sure to put on longer drops than you normally would so that you can reach all the way around the tree.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Excellent application for tapping below the lateral. Just be sure your spout/dropline sanitation practices are very good.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Would you elaborate on what are best practices for tap and dropline sanitation protocals?
    Are you speaking mainly of changing spouts every year, and droplines every three? Cleaning every spring with Sodium Hypochlorite.
    Drilling a clean circular taphole? Is there anything else?
    I am beginning to switch over to cv spouts.
    Is there any value to wiping off with alcohol before tapping.

If they cluster tapped the lines you should still be able to find lots of good sapwood. I'd go 2 taps per tree for the big ones with a minimum 36" droplines but you may even want to go longer so you can reach the back side of some trees. We have some monster maples that have "custom" droplines we used that are up to 5 feet long to allow us to tap the entire circumference.
    4,600 Taps on vacuum
    9,400 gallons storage
    3 tower CDL RO
    3.5'x14' Lapierre Force 5
    Twitter & Instagram: @ennismaple
    www.ennismaple.com

This is my first year on this woods so they're all new drops. I bought half/half 36" and 40" drops - after installing a 100 or so I wish I'd gotten all 40s. For this first year, I'm using CDL clear 5/16" signature spouts and plan to switch over to cv taps next year and for the following year, or two. Then I'll change out the drops and start again.
    Ken
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse

Quote Originally Posted by ennismaple View Post
    If they cluster tapped the lines you should still be able to find lots of good sapwood. I'd go 2 taps per tree for the big ones
    The old taps are kind of clustered but that makes it challenging to have a consistent pattern. For number of taps I'm doing 2 maximum since we're on high vacuum.

Ken
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    Excellent application for tapping below the lateral. Just be sure your spout/dropline sanitation practices are very good.
    Dr. Tim - you make an excellent point and made me rethink my strategy. Since the drops are new, and I already bought my non-cv spouts, maybe I'll do this first year on the drop above the lateral in areas that look best for tapping. Then next year, I'll do the cv spouts below the lateral. When I cycle out my drops I can go back to the non-cv spouts above the lateral and back below afterwards.

Ken
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast