+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 3D printed Sap Sack Holders

Default 3D printed Sap Sack Holders

I'm teaming up with a coworker who has a 3D printer to make 3D printed sap sack holders. I'm trying to gauge interest in the market on them. Can you all please follow the survey monkey link and fill out the survey?

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/GRK2FZ2

Not trying to rain on your parade but I am wondering how this can be profitable. I have done a lot of 3d printing and it is slow going. It would have to be made from abs plastic as the pla is biodegradable and will warp if exposed to heat. Hard to compete with 3.99 sap sack holder that are made from galvanized that will last forever.

...Or the home made versions.
    2015 - 8 buckets, 332L sap, 8.5L syrup - Barrel evaporator, 2 steam pans
    2016 - 8 buckets, 432L sap
    2017 - 10 bags, 470L sap, 9L syrup
    2018 - 20 bags, 1050L sap, 17.6L syrup
    2019 - 20 bags, 970L sap, 22.2L syrup
    2020 - 17 bags, 813L sap, 17L syrup

Quote Originally Posted by octane View Post
    Not trying to rain on your parade but I am wondering how this can be profitable. I have done a lot of 3d printing and it is slow going. It would have to be made from abs plastic as the pla is biodegradable and will warp if exposed to heat. Hard to compete with 3.99 sap sack holder that are made from galvanized that will last forever.
    You’re a real breath of fresh air...If you looked at the survey, he’s targeting $2 a pop.
    Beats the daylights out of your 3.99, I say go for it! Beats sitting on the couch.
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

I am a breath of fresh air. I read through the survey, hence the questions about the cost. Trying to get him to think about cost analysis before he wears out his coworkers 3d printer. Like everything they have a limited lifespan with consumable parts on them besides the printing filament. There will be about $1 in filament cost and approximately 3 hours worth of print time for each holder. 33 cents worth of profit per hour not counting electricity and wear and tear on the printer.

While I don't use sap bags, if you try to go ahead with this idea, I'd suggest $3.00 each and see how it goes. It's far easier to cut prices if you decide it can be done than to raise them once you have a batch of orders.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread