+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Willow Creek Sugarhouse 2021

Default Willow Creek Sugarhouse 2021

Well, after the strangest year I have every seen for our country in my lifetime one thing that is constant is sugaring season!!! It is coming.

We have all been lucky and no covid for my immediate family although we have been doing everything to avoid it, but you just never know. I can say I am just really tired of this thing and don't want to wear a mask anymore. My Brother who is in NJ got a very mild case. My sister who is in VT got it she was laid up for over a month pretty bad case but didn't have to stay in the hospital but went to the ER a few times trouble breathing. Lost My Aunt to it she lived in Ohio shut down her kidneys killed her in less than 2 weeks. Hope everyone on here is doing well.

Looks like we are having a sorta normal winter it was a little late getting here but we are getting cold and snow and everything. Pretty spoiled by the past few easy winters.

No upgrades for this year. Sales were about half since we had to close for maple weekend last year. Did more online sales and farm stand sales than ever before understandably. Really wanted a brandy new Atlas Copco vacuum pump this year but just didn't have the funds. I am working 6 days a week now and was never really shut down. My wife is the bread winner and she was down to half time half pay for a few months starting back in April. but a few projects to the house (bathroom remodel, new roof and solar panels) and my oldest now in college money's a little tight. All projects we started on before the shut down. The bathroom is about 3/4 done was delayed brought in a plumber to get things up to code and do a few things I wasn't comfortable with but the entire project could have taken about 4-5 days but was drawn out to 3-4 months. I finally gave up and finished everything myself at least they got the stuff done that I needed them to do. and the new roof is done but solar panels got delayed because the panels themselves are out of stock and have been since November and then snow just set things way back there. and they still aren't in yet. then there is lack of wood still and and the price of everything jeez.

Anyway, Got the sugarhouse straightened up 2 weeks ago and got things washed and rinsed out. Still need to rinse the evap and tanks but the hoses are frozen up but that won't take long to do.

Officially started tapping on Wednesday but got out of work late and by the time I got all my sh*t together I had about an hour left but still drilled a few holes. started just boots but ended that quick it was much easier to navigate with snowshoes. Ended up working late Thursday and Friday so didn't make into the woods. have to work today until 1pm grab some lunch and head out into the woods. Then gonna hit it hard Tomorrow. Temps my start to warm a little the end of week maybe to far out to tell really.

Well Good luck this year everyone Hope you all have a Great season.
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

www.willowcreeksugarhouse.com
    585 or so on Vacuum, about 35 on buckets/sap sacs
    Atlas Copco GVS 25A Rotary Vane vacuum pump
    MES horizontal electric releaser
    2x6 ss phaneuf Drop flue, Leader woodsaver blower, homemade hood
    300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP
    Its Here!!! 2024 season is here get busy!!!

Wanted to hit 100 taps yesterday but only got in 80 before I ran out of daylight. So With the 50 I got in on Wednesday at about 130 so far only 500 or so to go. hopefully cut that number in half or more by this evening.

messy weather coming this week storms could go either way edge of rain snow line for south eastern NH. next week looks like its a go. guessing things should break loose by tuesday, Wednesday once the trees have a chance to thaw!!! first boil maybe wed or thursday hopefully!!! we'll see. Its really too far out but the forecast could change in a few hrs.
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP

Good luck on your season!! Im in Merrimack and plan to start tapping Friday and hopefully like you said, next week we get our 1st run.

-Scott
    2022 4x40" RO, Welch 1397 Vac Pump, 3 Guzzler Pumps, Lapierre Releaser, 1100 taps
    2021 Twin Baby Boys, Close to 650 taps
    2020 Upgraded RO to 2 post and 7GBS Pump. 265 taps
    2019 Smoky Lake 2x6 raised flue, Autodraw system, Maple Jet Filter Press, a beautiful new bride to be my sugaring partner :-)
    2017 Expanded Sugar Shack, new 2x6 with float box, NEXTgen Maple RO, 250+ taps, still on sap sacks
    2016 Sugar Shack, 2x6 evaporator, 160 taps, all on Sap Sacks
    2014 110 taps
    2013 35 taps

Looks like you're more ahead of the game than me having everything cleaned up and ready to go. I've got a lot of work to do before i can start boiling. I may end up putting in some of my taps late next week through the weekend.

Very sorry to hear about your aunt. Glad to hear everyone in your immediate family is doing well with it. You're right though, you just never know.
    6th season solo sugar maker in a young sugar bush of mostly red maples
    320 taps
    2x6 self built arch, Flat pans w/ dividers
    New 12x16 sugar house
    CDL hobby 250 RO

Thank for the condolences.

weather next week looks a little on the cooler side either side of 40 for me for most days. But again that could change as we know, thats weather in New England.

have about 225 taps left to go. pretty sloppy out there now. Glad we didn't get much Ice after all don't want the damage in the woods. looks like another bought of snow coming thrusday into friday. Hoping to finish up all vacuum taps by the weekend then get buckets out next week. but that number is down to about 30.
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP

Was very glad we got minimal ice from this storm. I have had enough damage around my property from ice and wind this season. Lots of trees down across lines and trails, several good maples broken too :/.
    6th season solo sugar maker in a young sugar bush of mostly red maples
    320 taps
    2x6 self built arch, Flat pans w/ dividers
    New 12x16 sugar house
    CDL hobby 250 RO

Well Crappy weather this week. Happy for no ice damage. So I have had minimal time in the woods this week. Crazy week at work just combined with weather. Still have about 175 taps, give or take, to put in for vacuum. Have to work again today... this 6 days a week stuff sucks!!! Then out in the sugarhouse.

I also heard that the Association has already cancelled maple weekend. I have been so busy I haven't really been paying attention to that. but they are still doing Maple month.

For those who know my sugarhouse like others its pretty small so I won't be open at all this year. If I could get the vaccine earlier I might. I do have it scheduled for April 22 (earliest I could get right now) hopefully it moves up. I am not afraid of it just don't want to risk not being able to work my real job or infecting others at work because I work in foodservice at Exeter Highschool. If any of us in the kitchen get infected the entire SAU could potentially shut down and have to quarentine. That also means no meals for the remote kids and hard hit families as well. thats why I been working 6 days a week because we hand out about 250 7day bagged meals every Saturday. on top of feeding all the in school kids during the week. I do ALL the hot food for 4 of the 6 schools of the Exeter Coop. So I just have to put others first right now.
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP

work of angels on earth, brad....thank you for your service
    2024 - New Maine resident, 12X12 sugar shack under construction
    2019 - New 12X12 boiling pavilion
    2018 - New Mason 2X3 Hobby XL and homemade RO

Good for you for putting others ahead of you and your business. Karma will come back around...
    2021 50 taps
    2020 50 taps, 6.5 gallons, ended it early
    2019 Small Sugar Shack, New Mason 2x3, 45 Taps, R.O. Bucket
    2018 35 taps
    2017 Outside Cinderblock Evaporator, 30 Taps
    2016 Outside Propane stoves, 25 Taps

Thanks guys I hope karma comes back around for me.
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast