+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Willow Creek Sugarhouse 2021

Doesn't look good. I have made a bunch of syrup the last few days. some of the biggest runs I have had in years. sugar is even not too bad been getting progressively less but last night was the last freeze. buds are still tight but we'll see how the end of the week looks. Last time this happened I ended up having a funky flavor to the syrup turned out to be metabolism. it took on a weird taste almost like wet cardboard. and the trees didn't run good after that too. buckets will be done for sure. as far as the forecast goes no freeze until next monday night.

I am at 63.5 gallons as of last night with the evap thats about 67 give or take. that sucks because if the temps kept going good I should break well over 100 gallons easy before the buds pop. oh man... but vac pump aint doing good seals are going vac has been a consistent 26-27" all season. This old pump... can't beat it $300 and lasted for 7 years I think? thats pretty good so win loose or draw next year I will need a new pump!!!
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

www.willowcreeksugarhouse.com
    585 or so on Vacuum, about 35 on buckets/sap sacs
    Atlas Copco GVS 25A Rotary Vane vacuum pump
    MES horizontal electric releaser
    2x6 ss phaneuf Drop flue, Leader woodsaver blower, homemade hood
    300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP
    Its Here!!! 2024 season is here get busy!!!

Right now our gallon total is the same. I've got 650 gallons of sap for a boil tomorrow. The forecast doesn't look good for me either. There's a couple of nights where it will be close to freezing which could be a good freeze here. Time will tell. It's too bad that your vacuum pump is failing but you did get a lot of use out of it for the money.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Well I think that's it Buds are just stating to pop on the reds and since its pretty much all I have well... went from tight to popping in just a few days just too warm.

What is the formula for the long sap hydrometer and High concentrate hydrometer vs. Temperature? they are calibrated at 39* but since I recirculate the concentrate gets pretty warm 50 to 60* or more sometimes and while I usually max out the machine the High Concentrate hydro usually goes to between 14-16 depending on quality of sap, temp etc. I know its higher than that but would like a little more accurate information. it looks to take out 80 to 90 percent of the water before I flush the membranes to get the remaining sugar out. since they are testing much thinner liquid than syrup I would only assume they are very sensitive to temperature.

Been nursing the Vac pump along limping to the finish line I have a drip pan under the pully cover and have to add about a pint of oil every 8 hrs or so. had to tighten up the belts its running a little warmer than it usually does which doesn't help things and tells me there might be more going on inside. Its a pretty complex pump new these things go for about $7000. and rebuild kits are very expensive about 1/2 the cost of the new pump I want. So between the cost and my time and the risk of me screwing something up which I usually do the first time around its better to just buy the new pump. Then I will feel better about tearing into to this one and see what I can do with it If I can rebuild it and then sell it maybe or just hold onto it if I decide to expand elsewhere if the opportunity pops up. or just keep it as a back up. I should then sell my bb2. that things is awesome... just needs new gaskets. guessing those will have to be homemade probably can't get hose anymore.

anyway made another 3 gallons the other day. Today is the last day will shut down the vac pump later today . I am still getting 100-150 gallons of cloudy sap a day and have about 250 to 300 gallons. Will suck out the water and see will cook down a quick 1/2 gallon to see if its still good. I didn't wash the RO decided to save Perm. just in case and I am glad I did. Pulling buckets today after work. finish out the evap and start pulling taps this week. If the sap in the tank is still good I should finish out at 75 gallons or so. Basically 3.5 week season. Was going soooo good too and there is a nice little cold snap coming next thursday. Oh well you just never know. Thats why you can't predict how a maple season will go. going gang busters boiling everyday and making 10 to 12 gallons at a shot to end of season in 4 days. and peepers are very loud down the street too. I am in a cold spot always the last to hear peepers.

Hey good luck to everyone still going!!!
    Last edited by red maples; 03-27-2021 at 06:22 AM.
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP

I'm calling it a season today too. I've made more than enough syrup to fill my needs and will be going to NC with enough to last 3 years or more.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

I cut new gaskest for my sp22s and BB2s, kinda a pain but doable with some paticance
    Salisbury Sugarworks,,Parker Rowe, and friends
    Salisbury, N.H.
    1988 taps in 09
    over 2500 on vac in 2010
    no buckets in 2010
    2815 taps in 2011
    shooting for 3000 in 2012
    4000 taps? In 2014
    5x16 wood fired "Mighty Marvin"
    50 cords in the shed
    Old, old R.O.
    Charter member Andover/Salisbury Mapleholics
    http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/4...s009bx4.th.jpg

I am glad to hear you got enough made to take south with you Russ. Really weird season this year. some trees overflowed the bags, yet others just trickled. Mine are all sugar maples and I tapped only a few trees this year. better next year.
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

Tried to finish out stuff last night and Evap was ropey big pile of snot. to warm and too much bacteria and the new sap was just OK after I
    squeezed it had a weird taste not buddy I think it metabolism.

so If I only look at the 3.5 weeks of the season it was a really good season since one of those weeks were frozen up mostly. so making 70 gallons for me in about 2.5 to 3 weeks is pretty impressive for my trees. If only mother nature cooperated this past week to keep the momentum going but nooooooo.....

but it is what it is... now all the work begins cleaning things up. then moving on to the off season work. Meat chickens coming this week!!!
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP

I don't remember how much syrup you typically make in a normal season but 70 gallons seems pretty good. I made a little over a half crop here. I hope that you have a good season next year.
    Russ

Good luck moving onto your next activity.

I'll have enough sap to boil tonight and give it a go. We'll see what happens. I'm hoping to keep chugging along and get back into better weather. The trees haven't budded yet, so there's still the potential to make more good syrup. Sap flow is way down though. It makes it hard to get enough sap to boil.

for my trees in less than 3 weeks 70 gallons is really good considering I didn't make any syrup in February.
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234