+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommended bit to drill a large (2” hole) through side of pan

Default Recommended bit to drill a large (2” hole) through side of pan

Looking for a bit to drill a large hole through the side of the flue pan to run the manifold through for the bubbler.Thanks
    7th generation maple producer in sugarhouse built in 1892
    2x World Champion Maple Syrup Producer
    1250 taps on cv adapters
    Leader Vortex 3x14 with Max Flue and Revolution Syrup Pan,Enhanced Steam Away
    www.leggettmaplesyrup.com

Electricians knock-out
    Fred Ahrens
    330-206-1606
    Richards Ohio Maple Equipment
    Ohio CDL sales rep
    LaPierre Dealer
    H&M maple fabricator Dealer
    Service Tech/repair for all brands and electronics

don't take life too serious, nobody gets out alive anyways!

I have drilled stainless steel sap tanks with a good quality hole saw made for metal. I believe the one I used was a Lenox brand.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

Just my 2 cents and I am not familiar with enhanced steam away's but wouldn't it be better to build a riser section between the pan and the steam away with a hole in that? You obviously have a good bit invested and I would want to find a way to preserve it. Maybe not practical but figured I'd give my thoughts.
    Matt,
    Minehart Gap Maple

I usually use a step-bit when drilling any holes in metal.
    2020 - 1st year - 13 black walnut taps - 4 bottles syrup
    2021 - 50 taps, 22 black walnuts/28 red maples - 4 gallons syrup
    2022 - 54 taps, 11 black walnuts/41 red maples, 20 on solar shurflo vacuum - 8.5 gallons syrup
    2023 - 47 taps on 45 red maples, 43 on solar shurflo vacuum

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    Electricians knock-out
    I agree. Punch it out.
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce L View Post
    Looking for a bit to drill a large hole through the side of the flue pan to run the manifold through for the bubbler.Thanks

Bruce Like BAP, I used a 2" Milwaukee hole saw to go through the side of my hood..
    Use good steady pressure...keep drill speed as slow as you can..keep some cutting oil on it.
    Most important is to keep rpms as low as you can.

Go too fast with speed and your saw/bit is toast.

hole saw.jpg
    Last edited by johnallin; 02-13-2021 at 09:51 AM. Reason: add pic
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by TapTapTap View Post
    I agree. Punch it out.
    We used to have a metal-working person come do it....he used a large cone shaped grinding stone, but made a heck of a mess. We've used a hole saw occasionally, lots of sharp filings and the holes weren't always perfect. A few years ago we invested in a Greenlee punch (knockout) set -- a wonderful acquisition. Quick, smooth, no filings or dust.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

I second the Greenlee punch. Having been in the heating and associated electrical business for years I became acquainted with Greenlee punches. In that business most were to add knock out holes for electrical connectors to be installed. Thus once I got into Maple any time I needed a perfectly neat hole in SS I used the right sized Greenlee punch. Just be certain what size you need, you mention a 2" hole, but is that the O.D of what you want to attach or in I.D.? Measure the O.D. (outside diameter) and get that size. It will make a perfect hole with no distortion every time.
    It will have a high grade bolt that will need to go thru the piece being punched. The hole can be drilled using a cobalt bit of the proper size or even a step titanium bit. It's ok of that hole is not perfectly smooth, wavy is OK. Then you will use the punch. It has 2 parts, a punch and a die. The bolt will pull the punch into the die making a perfect hole every time. Smaller punches have 2 leading edges, larger ones can have more than 2. My largest is a 1.75", I think that size still has just 2 points. Someplace larger than 1.75" the use more points. While Greenlee is the name of the original manufacturer, I've seen the same type of punches made by others, I don't know about their quality.
    According to my now deceased BIL those punches are also used to punch holes in Chassis on vehicles. Maybe you can rent one from a frame shop, or even a large rental yard patronizing tradesmen. If a 2" is the right size, you can find it for $60 up to about $200 depending on who you buy from. Shop around, Google can be your friend.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Thanks everyone,actually have two brothers in law are plumbers/ electrician,one checking now to see if he has a big enough punch. Also have a friend in auto repair business to check with. Saw one of these way back in the 90’s but didn’t know what it was. Picking up a flue pan at Small Brothers in Quebec and they had the drainage hole on wrong side,while I was there he drilled a pilot hole,then put the ratchet to something and just ratcheted until a perfect hole cut out and soldered in a new fitting while I watched.
    7th generation maple producer in sugarhouse built in 1892
    2x World Champion Maple Syrup Producer
    1250 taps on cv adapters
    Leader Vortex 3x14 with Max Flue and Revolution Syrup Pan,Enhanced Steam Away
    www.leggettmaplesyrup.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast