+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low Flow Shutoff for RO

Default Low Flow Shutoff for RO

Any recommendations for a reliable low flow shutoff. I had my Procon pump burn out when the RO ran dry one time at the end of last season (since rebuilt).
    Gary / Zena Crossroads / 42˚ 00' 24" N / Hobby in Early '70s, Addiction since 2014

175+ taps on 3/16 (60 of which are on two Lunchbox Vac/Releasers)
    12x34 timber framed sap house w/attached 10x34 shed roof for storage
    2 x 6 Smoky Lake hybrid pan on Corsair arch with AUF/steam hood/preheater/concentric exhaust
    7.0 KW Sun Power PV System, Smokey Lake Filter Press/Steam Bottler, Modified NGMP RO - 2 4x40 posts 200 gph

I just wired up the GRL8-02 Level controller to start/stop my RO based up sap levels in the tank. All you need are bare wire sensors to measure the level. That relay controller can be configured in different modes.

https://www.geya.net/monitoring-rela...ay-grl8-01-02/
    D. Roseum
    www.roseummaple.com
    ~100 taps on 3/16 custom temp controlled vacuum; shurflo vacuum #2; custom nat gas evap with auto-drawoff and tank level gas shut-off controller; homemade RO #1; homemade RO #2; SL SS filter press
    2021: 27.1 gallons
    2022: 35 gallons

Now that's a cool device, and I may get one for my head tank. I run the RO from several different tanks though, so is there a way to run that against the outflow of the RO? I think that's the kind of shut off I've heard about.

There are low pressure switches that will cut out the pump when flow reduces after the pump. You will need to use a momentary switch to bypass the low pressure switch during startup while the pressure builds in your system.

I also pump out of 2 tanks that aren't near each other and set up the overall logic to allow me to bypass this controller if desired and also made my wire sensors with quick connect wire harnesses so I can have a set up for each tank and just swap the connection.
    D. Roseum
    www.roseummaple.com
    ~100 taps on 3/16 custom temp controlled vacuum; shurflo vacuum #2; custom nat gas evap with auto-drawoff and tank level gas shut-off controller; homemade RO #1; homemade RO #2; SL SS filter press
    2021: 27.1 gallons
    2022: 35 gallons

I actually just ordered one of these low pressure switches from Dywer. All SS wetted components and fully field adjustable to pressure. I have not received it yet, should be here in the next few days. As D. Roseum mentions, you will have to have a momentary switch that will bypass the low pressure circuit on start-up.

https://www.dwyer-inst.com/Product/P...ches/SeriesA1F

Quote Originally Posted by Bellehollow View Post
    I actually just ordered one of these low pressure switches from Dywer. All SS wetted components and fully field adjustable to pressure. I have not received it yet, should be here in the next few days. As D. Roseum mentions, you will have to have a momentary switch that will bypass the low pressure circuit on start-up.

https://www.dwyer-inst.com/Product/P...ches/SeriesA1F
    That’s the same style of low pressure cut of switch that I installed in my RO.
    Only problem with just having the switch by itself is that the pump will flutter on and off while it’s running out of sap.
    I used a relay that latches when the switch goes from NO to NC and a momentary switch to start the pump.
    Hold the momentary switch until it gets up to pressure then it stays on.
    Once the pressure drops the pump shuts off completely.
    600 taps on vacuum
    Lapierre mechanical Releaser
    CDL electric releaser
    2.5 x 10 CDL Venturi ( new for the 2024 season )
    Home made modulating auto draw off
    Homemade RO 2 x 4" membranes
    CDL 16 x 16 bottler
    Wesfab 7" filter press
    Delaval 73 vacuum pumps

12 hives of bees

If you have a feed pump you can use a regular well pump pressure switch with low pressure shut off so when feed pump runs out of sap it will kick everything off. Very simple and doesn’t require much wiring or additional controls. That’s what I used on my last RO and it worked great.
    Maple Rock Farm
    www.Maplerockfarm.ca
    400 taps on Vacuum
    18”x60” Lapierre propane evaporator with Smokey Lake auto draw off
    Homemade 3 post RO with MES membranes
    Ford TS110 tractor sap hauler

Thanks for the responsesThere are a lot of good ideas and solutions here. Does anyone have "how to" instructions/photos on any of these methods? I am a diy guy, and I can figure out solutions most of the time, but help is always appreciated. I'm also in the middle of expanding my shack and installing new equipment in time for the season, so time is at a premium.

Quote Originally Posted by Clinkis View Post
    If you have a feed pump you can use a regular well pump pressure switch with low pressure shut off so when feed pump runs out of sap it will kick everything off. Very simple and doesn’t require much wiring or additional controls. That’s what I used on my last RO and it worked great.
    I like this, but at the moment I don't have a feed pump. I wanted to add a post to my RO for this season, but 2020 didn't cooperate. That would have added a feed pump, flow meters, etc.

How about a float cutoff switch for the feed tank? I can't find a link at the moment but I think something simple like this could be good for people like me with a simple one-pump RO (just got it and am setting it up for the first time). 110 power cord for the RO pump plugs directly into the float cutoff switch. Anybody using one of these they can recommend?
    Central Ohio
    Leader WSE 2x6
    Old metal corn crib converted to "The Shack"
    Smoky Lake 6 gallon water jacket canner
    Daryl 5" filter press with air pump
    Deer Run 125 RO

2023: 140 taps, buckets, 32 gallons
    2019: 100 taps, buckets, 45 gallons
    2018: 100 taps, buckets, 31 gallons
    2017: 100 taps, buckets, 15 gallons
    2015: 100 taps, buckets, 34 gallons
    2014: 100 taps, buckets, 30 gallons