+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nalgene Jugs

Default Nalgene Jugs

I found a line on some nalgene jugs that would be perfect for draw off and storage. How would nalgene hold up to drawing off the evaporator?
    2018 - 8 Taps on Buckets - homemade 2x2 pan and wood arch - 1.25 gallons
    2019 - 30 Taps on Buckets - new Sugarhouse , 2x4 divides pan and homebuilt
    evaporator! - 3.5 gallons
    2020 - planning 50 Taps on 3/16 tubing with shurflo vacuum

Quote Originally Posted by HondoLane View Post
    I found a line on some nalgene jugs that would be perfect for draw off and storage. How would nalgene hold up to drawing off the evaporator?
    -----------Get-a-stainless-steel-pail

Get a SS bucket or pot. If a SS bucket is out of your price range, Walmart sells 16 qt, 20, qt and 24 qt SS pots. They are going to be better than Nalgene.
    A good thing, once you have more time is to find old milker buckets, they were real heavy duty, you can find them at farm auctions from time to time quite reasonably priced if there aren't too many looking for them at the auction. DeLavel, surge and likely others made them.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

If there's one local to you, I grabbed this three pack of stainless buckets at Tractor Supply for around $20. Didn't think I needed three, but the price was good compared to one at other places.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...t?cm_vc=-10005
    2024 - Starting with the 25 then more late Feb.
    2023 - 25 taps on 11 trees to focus on the process. 9 Gallons and lots of sugar sand. 35 people over for breakfast in April
    2022 - 8 x 14 sugarhouse and a steam bottler. 50 buckets! 9 Gallons syrup and 4 pounds of sugar
    2021 - 20 x 30 divided pan on a Mason arch, 34 taps and 8 gallons for family and friends to judge. Dad hooked as well.
    2020 - 2 taps, 1/2 pint on a turkey fryer, About 3/4 pint syrup in two weeks - Proof of concept!

+ Reply to Thread