+ Reply to Thread

Thread: More questions on freezing syrup

Default More questions on freezing syrup

So if you are freezing 5 gallon jugs of syrup, do you still fill them right up to the top ? How long does it take for them to thaw ? Thanks Ron

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

We store a lot of our syrup for the UVM Food Services in the freezer. Pure maple syrup will not freeze solid unless your freezer is set really low (standard freezer temp is 0 deg F), but will instead get really thick. You should leave a little headspace at the top to be on the safe side. The amount of time to thaw depends upon how cold the freezer is and how warm the space you put it is.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Fill them to slightly below the top. They will not actually freeze solid but it will expand as it gets very cold (yes, expand). leave 2-3" space to allow for it. Be sure to "freeze" it only in plastic, not glass. Glass would break because of the expansion. When stored in the freezer it will keep it taste and consistency. It will resume room temperature in 2-3 days. If you try to pour some out while it is at freezer temperatures it will flow very slowly, like "molasses in January".
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    ... like "molasses in January".
    or like "maple syrup" in January.
    Last edited by DrTimPerkins; 02-11-2021 at 01:32 PM.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

I fill my freezer with 5s. I usually fill to top and haven't had any issues with top blow off-yet!! Usually the plastic can swell a bit to take up the expansion. But it keeps syrup in its original state that's what I like about it. Plastic doesn't store like stainless so that's why I do it. If I break down a barrel everything goes in the freezer. I have a guy that travels 2 hours to come get syrup off me he swears it's the best he ever had. that's why he drives past many other sugar houses to come to mine. I ran out recently and got him a five gallon from a maple producing friend of mine. I had to ask him how it was and his exact words were "it's not Blissville syrup"

This is why I do things the way I do, I think if you are diligent every step of the way you will produce some of the best syrup and if you store it correctly it will retain its flavor..
    18x30 sugarshack
    5100 taps high vac
    3x10 inferno with steampan
    7'' wes fab filter press
    10'' cdl air filter press
    D&G 3 post reverse osmosis w/recirculation

Just took 20 gallons out of freezer and set in the sink. At 25 degrees in the sugarhouse its going to be a few days for it to thaw out! Have to get ready for our Taste and Tour event. A month away. Havent made any syrup yet and doesnt look like it for a week more? Putting syrup in the freezer is a great way to keep it fresh all year. I have 2.5 gallon jugs and only fill to the line on the jug which does leave some head space, for expansion too.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

+ Reply to Thread