+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sink in the sugarhouse

Default Sink in the sugarhouse

I'm planning on adding a stainless utility style sink to my sugarhouse this season and am trying to figure out what the best option would be. Wondering what others have used or are currently using and hoping to see some photos of your set up. Looking into a large single or 2 bay sink around 24x24x12 each bowl and hopefully adding a commercial style sprayer head. There are lots of used sinks locally and I'm running short on time before the season hits. The sink will primarily be used for cleaning up during bottling, buckets, stainless pots, and whatever else fits in there. This will be my first year with a filter press and i think a large sink bowl will be helpful in cleaning that as well.

Would a single large bowl with a drain board be better than 2 bowls without?
    A stainless table with a drop in style bowl?

Would love to hear some input from other sugar makers. Photos would be helpful for me and anyone else looking to add a sink. Thank you.
    6th season solo sugar maker in a young sugar bush of mostly red maples
    320 taps
    2x6 self built arch, Flat pans w/ dividers
    New 12x16 sugar house
    CDL hobby 250 RO

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

A great deal depends upon where you are located, what you'll be doing, and who is regulating the process.

If it's the health department in your area and you are preparing food, the 3-sink method is the standard (wash, rinse, sanitize sinks) https://www.katom.com/cat/sinks-fauc...20are%20washed. . If you're not preparing food, and not regulated by health department rules in your area, a 1-sink or 2-sink compartment is mostly a matter of preference. We like 2-sinks because you can have stuff soaking in one and still use the other.

A single-unit sink/drain (as opposed to a stainless table with a drop-in sink) is the preferred style of construction for food areas for ease of cleaning. Drop in sinks leave more nooks/crevices for stuff to accumulate in.

If you're a real glutton for punishment, you could go directly to the U.S. FDA Food Code https://www.fda.gov/media/87140/download manual and enjoy all 768 pages of it. A real crowd pleaser.
    Last edited by DrTimPerkins; 02-11-2021 at 09:21 AM.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Thank you for the response and for sharing the links. I should have mentioned that i just produce syrup and no other products from it as of right now. I'm in NH and don't believe i fall under any type of health department rules on the sugarhouse set up from what I've read. I sell small amounts of syrup locally at farm stands and tourist shops.

Being able to soak things and still use the other sink seems like a nice luxury to aim toward. A 3 bay sink seems a bit overkill with a larger footprint unless i'd be adhering to any health dep. rules. I figure i could fashion some type of drainboard over the 2nd sink when needed.
    320 taps
    New 12x16 sugar house
    CDL hobby 250 RO

I have a 3 basin sink with drain boards on each side. I had 2 pieces of sheet stainless cut to cover 1 1/2 of the basins each with a lip bent where they meet up. With this I can cover 1, 2 or all 3 basins and use as a work table during bottling or whatever else.
    Smoky Lake 2x6 dropflu pans and hoods on homemade arch
    Smoky Lake 6 gallon water jacked bottler
    Concentric Exhaust
    250 Deer Run RO
    325 taps

I have a two basin sink with drain board. Love it. Drain board is always filled with something. But great for " doing the dishes " that are part of the daily syrup making! Doubles as a hand washing station, which is always a plus.Pictures? Maybe?
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarmaker View Post
    I have a two basin sink with drain board. Love it. Drain board is always filled with something. But great for " doing the dishes " that are part of the daily syrup making! Doubles as a hand washing station, which is always a plus.Pictures? Maybe?
    Regards,
    Chris
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Sapper View Post
    I have a 3 basin sink with drain boards on each side. I had 2 pieces of sheet stainless cut to cover 1 1/2 of the basins each with a lip bent where they meet up. With this I can cover 1, 2 or all 3 basins and use as a work table during bottling or whatever else.
    Thank you for the input! With space being a concern in my smaller sugar shack i think i will lean more towards the 2 bay sink. Hopefully i can find a decent sink with a drainboard as well.
    320 taps
    New 12x16 sugar house
    CDL hobby 250 RO

We went with a double basin commercial sink with drain boards on each side. We also went with a commercial faucet and sprayer setup. Definitely have no regrets. I listened to my wife on this aspect because she had worked several years at McDonald's when she was in high school and l let her pick out the sink and faucet setup. It solved a major problem, who was going to do all the washing. She does a fantastic job at it!!! Check out the link on my signature and you can see a picture of our setup in our sugarhouse.
    Gary
    Last edited by MISugarDaddy; 02-17-2021 at 05:50 PM.
    16' X 24' Sugarhouse
    2' X 6' Leader Inferno Arch with Revolution Raised-Flue Pans, Smoky Lake preheater and hood
    Deer Run Maple gas-powered 250 RO
    WesFab 7" filter press
    Kubota 1100 RTV with tracks and 125 gallon tank for transporting sap
    800 taps on gravity and vacuum
    Very supportive wife who is the best coworker
    http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...ing-Sugarhouse

That is a wonderful looking interior. you actually have a regular hot water heater under the sink?
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

That is a 20 gallon electric hot water heater. It fits nicely under the drain board part of the sink. Our sink is 72" long, including the two basins and drain boards. We purchased ours new for $400, plus the faucet/sprayer from AB Restaurant Equipment. It appears that they are no longer in business, but we found a similar unit at webstaurantstore.com for slightly LESS money. Good luck with your project. If you have any other questions, please feel free to message me.
    Gary
    16' X 24' Sugarhouse
    2' X 6' Leader Inferno Arch with Revolution Raised-Flue Pans, Smoky Lake preheater and hood
    Deer Run Maple gas-powered 250 RO
    WesFab 7" filter press
    Kubota 1100 RTV with tracks and 125 gallon tank for transporting sap
    800 taps on gravity and vacuum
    Very supportive wife who is the best coworker
    http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...ing-Sugarhouse

I found a "milk-house" sink at the scrap yard. It has two big round bottomed tubs and is big enough to wash and rinse two or three sap buckets at a time. I built a frame to support it and drain boards on either end. The waste line connects to the floor with a fernco fitting, and when it's time to wash 500 buckets, we carry the whole thing outdoors and supply it with a hot water hose. The drain drops onto the driveway and we wash buckets in the sunshine.

+ Reply to Thread