+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New season, new goodies

Default New season, new goodies

Picked up a new set of pans in the summer, so it was necessary to build a new arch.
    Decided I wanted to spend a little time on it and make it a bit more presentable than the. Old oil tank arch from last year.
    Started with an angle iron frame, all 1 1/2" by 1/8".
    Once the frame was mostly done, I started on air over and air under fire. I had a few pieces of dairy pipe and a couple of valves to use for air adjustments.
    I made grates from old galvanised sign posts, hopefully they hold up.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Danielb; 02-11-2021 at 05:23 AM.
    2019 season - 11 taps, 2.5 gallons
    2020 season - - 2x4 homemade oil tank arch, homemade raised flue, and syrup pans.
    130 taps, 15 gallons of syrup
    2021 CDL 2x6 pan set with real raised flues. Hoping to hit 400-500 taps on tubing

Looking good. I would turn the fence posts around on your grate and fill the holes in if possible to let it fill with ash. This will help them last longer. The space between the fence posts is enough to let the AUF come up through.
    Smoky Lake 2x6 dropflu pans and hoods on homemade arch
    Smoky Lake 6 gallon water jacked bottler
    Concentric Exhaust
    250 Deer Run RO
    325 taps

I put some skins on the arch once the forced air was done. It is all recycled 16ga stainless, riveted in place.
    Added 1-1/2" rockwool insulation inside thee entire thing, then fire bricked the fire box.
    Built a base stack, used 16-ga stainless that was a bit worse for wear, and gave it a bit of a hammered finish with my mini claw hammer.
    Last night. I got the pans all in place and ready.

Now all that's left is everything else. Lucky for me (?) We just fell into a Cold snap that won't go away for 2 weeks, so I have time too get everything else ready

Attachment 21916
    Attachment 21917
    Attachment 21918
    Attachment 21919
    Attachment 21920
    2020 season - - 2x4 homemade oil tank arch, homemade raised flue, and syrup pans.
    2021 CDL 2x6 pan set with real raised flues. Hoping to hit 400-500 taps on tubing

Supper sapper is right, those post won't hold up unless they are flipped and fill with ash. I had a solid 3/4" steel rod soften and bow in my arch. Once I put angle iron grates in with open side up and they filled with ash, they were fine and are at least 6 years old with no change.
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

I will see what I can do about the grates.. I have. Spares, but I can probably flip the

That's a nice looking arch, like the dairy valve repurpose for the air. Can't see the 2nd post of photos though, curious how it came out all bricked and with the pans on.
    6th season solo sugar maker in a young sugar bush of mostly red maples
    320 taps
    2x6 self built arch, Flat pans w/ dividers
    New 12x16 sugar house
    CDL hobby 250 RO

You mention using Roxul insulation. Does that insulation hold up well to the heat? I know that fiberglass insulation will only melt. I would like a more cost effective insulation than the ceramic blanket.
    2021 - Year one. 15 taps using 5/16" and drop tube into buckets. Homemade barrel evaporator with 2 steam trays. 4.7L syrup.
    2022. 32 taps. Added AUF.
    2023. 51 taps. Ditched the steam pans for an 18x22 flat pan.
    2024. 56 taps. Built a proper evaporator to fit the 18x22 flat pan and 1 steam pan.

Yeah,sorry about the photos, relearning how to do attachments...

I tried the roxul last year, it worked pretty well where it wasn't in contact with any wood. It is rated for something like 2100°.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It is considered fire resistant not technically fireproof. It is certainly better than just bare steel in your arch or just bricks. But it's not quite the temperature ratings of ceramic insulation. Granted it is a fraction of the cost and easily accessible, it still gives you some sort of heat protection and keeps it in the arch. If you're going to go through the effort of cementing your bricks in place i would bite the bullet and grab ceramic for the firebox at least. Plenty have people have used and still use roxul and it works for them.
    Last edited by NhShaun; 02-11-2021 at 07:26 AM.
    6th season solo sugar maker in a young sugar bush of mostly red maples
    320 taps
    2x6 self built arch, Flat pans w/ dividers
    New 12x16 sugar house
    CDL hobby 250 RO

You still want some refractory cement, to cover the manifold, between 3/4" and 1" thick. Put it on in 2 or 3 applications and run a small fire to start the cure. Protect from freezing until cured, you can use just a light bulb for the heat.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast