+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Storing syrup

Default Storing syrup

Hi all -

Per my previous post here I’m in my first year with all of this. I was curious as to how all of you store your syrup for longer-term storage (say a year, for example). Mason jars? Other?

Thanks all - this site is great. Excellent resource and great community.

We store syrup for personal use in quart mason jars. They are cheap and reusable. For gifts for friends and family we tend to use plastic jugs. For fancy gifts we use small glass bottles.
    60ish taps on buckets
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    Turbo RB15 RO Bucket

any sterilized glass containers. Actual syrup bottles are nice.
    long term...straight to the freezer!

I store mine in plastic jugs for up to about 3-4 months, I don't pack more that I sell in that amount of time. That stored longer is stored in SS barrels. If you are not big enough to pack a SS barrel, use either canning jars or any glass syrup bottle. In glass, if bottled at 180+, will be good for several years. I have a few bottles that were packed 10-12 years ago, they are still good. If packed in plastic jugs try to only have them a max of about 6 months. Freezing is also a good way, syrup will not freeze solid because of the sugar %, but it will keep for over a year.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Thank you all so much for the replies. Very helpful. Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    I store mine in plastic jugs for up to about 3-4 months, I don't pack more that I sell in that amount of time. That stored longer is stored in SS barrels. If you are not big enough to pack a SS barrel, use either canning jars or any glass syrup bottle. In glass, if bottled at 180+, will be good for several years. I have a few bottles that were packed 10-12 years ago, they are still good. If packed in plastic jugs try to only have them a max of about 6 months. Freezing is also a good way, syrup will not freeze solid because of the sugar %, but it will keep for over a year.
    Dave- what is your reasoning for only 6 months in the jugs? Did you have a bad experience with a batch or something? I cracked open a jug of dark from 2018 this week that we had set aside for our personal use and it was fine. I would have had no problem selling it to a customer. Just curious on your reasoning for it.
    305 taps on 2 Shurflo's, 31 taps on 3/16" and 229 taps on gravity. 565 in all
    Mountain Maple S3 controller for 145 of the vacuum taps
    2x6 Darveau Mystique Oil Fired Evaporator w/ Smoky Lake Simplicity Auto Draw
    Wesfab 7” filter press

I use quart and pint mason jars. relatively inexpensive and seal real well. easy to handle.
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by Kamina View Post
    Per my previous post here I’m in my first year with all of this. I was curious as to how all of you store your syrup for longer-term storage (say a year, for example). Mason jars? Other?
    For long-term storage either:

- Mason jars (new) stored in a cool, dark place.
    - Plastic (new) stored in the freezer.
    - Plastic (new) stored in cool, dark place if you don't mind the syrup turning dark....use XL coated jugs to slow darkening down a lot.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

I store mine in either new glass 1L bottles that are intended for sale or I get massive amounts of used Crown Royal bottles from my local recycling depot. Its at the legion and they put the 375ml and 750ml bottles off to the side for me. The ones here in Canada are easy to clean, labels soak right off and are a really tough but pretty embossed bottle. They preheat very well and I have never had one crack. Filled well over 2000 of them over the years. I pack hot and have never had one of them spoil. Ive had syrup from the cold cellar that has been over 15 years old that tastes as good as fresh. The ones in the Crown bottles are only for friends and family.
    The Quebec syrup cartel has a repository of massive amounts of syrup that is kept for years in steel drums. They do this to even out the fluctuations of syrup prices year over year. You will notice they never have a date of production on the syrup. Only sometimes date of packaging.

+ Reply to Thread