+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 32 123456789101121 ... LastLast

Thread: January Journal 2008

Default January Journal 2008

Happy New Year to everyone!

Jim
    12 x 16 Sugarhouse, 12 x 16 Woodshed
    2 x 8 “The Mutt” Evaporator with Marcland Drawoff
    Leader oil fired arch, Dallaire raised flue, Smoky Lake syrup pan and hoods with pre-heater
    New Leader Clear Filter Press/Air Diaphragm Pump
    5” Hand Pump Filter Press from Daryl-One of the first three! On loan to a friend.
    Deer Run 250 gal/hr RO
    A Very Understanding Wife
    "At any time during the day you're only 10 seconds from disaster!"

Default new bills

ah yes a new year of higher priced maple equipment and i HOPE the current price of syrup hold thru the new season to maybe match the sharp increase since september
    10,000 taps and adding on vac.4 liquid ring pumps, lapierre 5x14 thunderbolt, 1800 R/O

http://s213.photobucket.com/albums/cc279/mapletime/

andrew martin Guest

Well,
    my wife decided to come home a day early, so I didn't get as much done as I would have liked - I am glad she's back though. I cleared a 4-wheeler trail 150 yards long and gained access to about 40 more taps this morning, then I set my sap tank, and my evaporator pans this afternoon.
    It actually snowed here this afternoon and the temperature is supposed to drop the rest of the day with a good 3-day freeze. I am looking forward to a good cold snap, just wish it was a week long instead of three days. Have fun everyone.

AKM

Happy New Year as I awake to 9 inches of the heaviest wet snow possible. Nine driveways later I'm back in the house. Only to get 50mph gust tonite to dry the snow and plug all those drives back up. And I have to go to work tommorrow. Rain and 40s for the weekend. That means all this snow and rain will be in the doorway of the barn. First set of lambs were born yesterday only 15 more ewes to go hopefully they get it done before we need to tap and boil, but oh I'm home anyway. Six weeks to sugar'n and more taps than I should have.

got all the tubing done and all the buckets cleaned and ready to go. i cant wait much longer i see all the sugarhouses prepping. ive seen the steam stacks in the cupolas and sugarmakers getting buckets out and putting tanks out. i hope i can pull off 20 gallons this year. im definantly going to be pulling some all nighters thats for sure.im still trying to get pictures i will post when i get some on the photobucket...
    pine grove sugarhouse
    600 taps
    16x24 sugarhouse. not even close to finished...
    4x10 leader drop flue
    too much stuff to worry about

Just Got In The House From Plowing 16 Inches Of The White Stuff Since 4 Am This Morning. Weather Man Has Had 2 In A Row Right.

Rich

I just looked at accuweather and they were forecasting a bunch of warm weather and now it looks like its just warm the 5th through the 11th. Thats nothing. Just enough warm weather to finish up my outside work and wont even effect our record breaking sugar season. Therons spring forecast is coming true. Theron

...and by the time the 5th gets here, it will probably be all cold. No need to worry, it is much closer to normal this year.
    Brandon

CDL dealer for All of West Virginia & Virginia
    3x10 CDL Deluxe oil fired
    Kubota M7040 4x4 Tractor w/ 1153 Loader hauling sap
    2,400+ taps on 3/16 CDL natural vacuum on 9 properties
    24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

Brandon- Your exactly rigtht. When they were first looking at the warm weather it was for quite a while. Changes every day. I do think this winter is way better. Only thing here is no frost in the ground but itll get cold here shortly with feb coming up. Theron

Theron,

That is called the January thaw. On a normal year the thaw will last for about 5 days, not the whole month like last year. Everything is looking good for a good season so far.

Russ
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 32 123456789101121 ... LastLast