+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Guzzler as a vacuum booster

Default Guzzler as a vacuum booster

I have no experience with guzzlers, but I was wondering if one could be used within a vacuum system at the bottom of a sap ladder to help push the sap up the ladder and to boost the vacuum below the ladder?

Nick
    3x12 Grimm
    2200 on vacuum
    woodmizer LT40HD25
    6 little sap haulers
    Facebook

Sure they could. What is your vacuum pump?
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

That's a neat idea. Please keep us updated on what you find. I have never thought of this but if it works I will be.
    Remember to keep on ticking while the sap is dripping.
    2016- 50 buckets. Made 4 gallons.
    2022- 3750 taps + Smartrek! Made 1300 gallons.
    2023- 3750 taps after removing a pump house and connected two woods. Made 800 gallons.

Which Guzzler pump would you be using? Single diaphragm pump should work OK. Dual diaphragm pump may work OK as long as there isn't much backpressure on the outlet side.

Dave
    Mountain Maple farm
    2022 NAMSC award winning dark amber syrup
    2023: 320 taps, 70% red maples. Mountain Maple S4 diaphragm pump controller with automated sap transfer and text messaging
    https://www.mountainmaplefarm.com
    https://www.facebook.com/MountainMapleFarm/

My situation now is that I have a 600' mainline that ends at about an 8' ladder. Below the ladder the main goes under a train track and then about 1000'. It is a fairly flat line and last year I seemed only be able to keep about 15 inches of vac at the end with about 24" at the releaser. I added a dry line to the main this year so I will wee how that goes, but may try the guzzler if I want more. If the guzzler doesn't work, I have a place I can use it in the future and will probably try the new CDL electric sap lifter.

Nick
    3x12 Grimm
    2200 on vacuum
    woodmizer LT40HD25
    6 little sap haulers
    Facebook

So I installed the guzzler on Saturday, and we had good runs Saturday and Sunday and it really helped. I'm now seeing consistent 21-22" at the end of the mainline.
    I should clarify that my main problem was that the ladder was not keeping up during the heavy flow times, so I only need to run the guzzler then. I actually installed it in a bypass around the ladder with a Tee just before the ladder and then teeing into the main above. That way when I shut off the pump, the sap doesn't have to flow through it, but can still go up the ladder. I also put valves on each side of the pump and quick couplings so that I can remove the pump while the system is under vacuum. I also close the valves when the pump isn't running.
    I hope this makes sense...

Nick
    3x12 Grimm
    2200 on vacuum
    woodmizer LT40HD25
    6 little sap haulers
    Facebook

+ Reply to Thread