+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bourbon barrel syrup

Dave,
    Do you think that aging the new barrel in only a small amount of bourbon would impart enough of a bourbon flavor into the barrel? Obviously the most important part of that would be consistently rolling the barrel. I'd also be concerned that the new staves wouldn't swell consistently as well. I like this idea though. It would save us a ton of money to not fill this new barrel entirely with bourbon but only use a smaller amount. It's really the only reason I didn't go up to a 5 gal barrel. This may be the way I go about aging my syrup this year.
    Thanks for you knowledge,
    Dale

The only way to know would be to test it. It sounds like it could work, but there's only 1 way to know.
    I think my suggestion of turning the barrel routinely would have a better chance of getting enough bourbon into the char, since I doubt anyone would test that method by filling the barrel to capacity.
    If anyone has tried this, what were your thoughts after you made a batch of bourbon barrel aged maple syrup after doing the bourbon in the barrel first?
    I've often wondered if I could re-seed a barrel right after removing a batch of aged syrup from it and put a bottle or 2 of bourbon in it, turn it every day or two for a couple of weeks. Then drain it and start a new batch of syrup in it, however I've not tried it.
    Last edited by maple flats; 02-08-2021 at 09:01 AM.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I do have a even smaller barrel that was given to me by my sis n law. Maybe I will try/test the method of filling the barrel with only a fraction of bourbon, and then age our syrup in it after draining the bourbon.
    I aged the 2.5 gal barrel with bourbon and I did fill it to capacity. But like I said that's not really a viable option due to cost to fill the barrel with bourbon.
    I also was wondering about reusing the barrel again after re aging bourbon it it. But I think you would need to "clean" the residual syrup out of it first and then add the bourbon back into it. I would also be concerned that it may form mold inside the barrel with the sugars left in it. But the bourbon "should" kill any mold spores that form, as long as your consistently rotating the barrel.
    There is definitely alot of science involved in the use of these barrels.
    I will try the small barrel experiment and report back when we do it. Worst case scenario, I go back and try again. It's worth a try as like you said Dave, this is a very value added product to syrup production.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Ethanol is not particularly good for killing mold spores. It takes 70-90% (140-180 proof) ethanol to achieve good kill efficacy. The spores won't germinate in ethanol, but they won't die. Same for isopropyl alcohol....works well against vegetative structures, but not great at killing fungal spores.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

If you empty the barrel of aged syrup and almost immediately add the bourbon, all while keeping it cool, you might be OK. Then as soon as you empty the bourbon out, fill the barrel with HOT syrup. Even at 200F or hotter. The heat will kill any mold spores I would think. You don't need to filter the syrup going in, but you certainly won't be happy with the end product if you don't filter the aged syrup.
    Also, there is a good chance there will be some alcohol in the syrup. So mine has near zero or zero alcohol, I heat it 2x. I first pump it into my finisher, bring it up to 200-205 and shut the propane burner off. I let it set for 16-24 hrs. I then heat it to 190 or so, and run it thru my filter press, mixed with DE. From there it is pumped into my water jacketed bottler, and that is set for 185F. Both times it sets in a finisher or bottler that has a cover to prevent contamination, but alcohol can evaporate off. It stays at that for 12-24 hrs, then I bottle it. Those 2 heating and holding processes evaporate off the alcohol. If yours is for friends and you for enjoyment, you may not be concerned about alcohol %, but if you sell it, the authorities may. My labels state "contains 2% alcohol or less".
    Last edited by maple flats; 02-08-2021 at 03:14 PM.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12