+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This is not looking good

Default This is not looking good

Dang this weather pattern. It does not look like any sap weather for the next 10 to 14 days. I have never boiled any later than March 15th and I fear we will have a fast warm up when this passes. I had a season like this in 2014 and only boiled a few boils. Most years I am done by the first few days of March. I am so glad I had early taps out and that I did tap my regular bush when we had that last warm up. At least I made 1/3 of my seasons goal during that period with a few big runs. If I had waited I would be in full panic mode. I beginning to think my approach needs to be a split Maple season. Do a full half of my taps early and half during normal time. The last couple years it seems I make early syrup and late syrup and not much in the middle. Normally I could plan on a full regular season starting around January 25-Feb 1, but as I look over the past few years winter has been showing up in early Feb and my regular start dates are pushed back 7-10 days. The sad part of that is March almost always has a very warm spell in the first 10 days and just mucks up my lines, tanks and sap. Being in southern Ohio seems to bring more challenges.
    Last edited by buckeye gold; 02-06-2021 at 05:48 AM.
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

With the winter weather setting up later, the runs will should be stronger. The sun will be warmer. Might make up for the shorter season.
    CDL 2.5*8 Venturi with all the bells
    Leader Clear 5 bank filter press
    Memprotec 350H RO
    600ish taps and looking for more.

Quote Originally Posted by VTnewguy View Post
    With the winter weather setting up later, the runs will should be stronger. The sun will be warmer. Might make up for the shorter season.
    That's probably true, but that makes a rough season. I'd much rather have a regular steady flow of sap. Also, that is part of my fear, a week of hell then die completely off. I guess I'll know come March 15th. I have 10 years of spreadsheets and this pattern has never turned into a banner year.
    125-150 taps
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

There is no sense in worrying about it, we cant help the weather one way or another. All it does is create unneeded stress. Make the most of and
    Kevin

Kevin s right. It will all work out, and like Like Fred said in his attempt at Canadian Lingo....I’ve interpreted as needed...

“Come on down to the Federation of Kirtland Hills (my sugar house) and have an ole Silver Spray (beer) , kick back and relax on the chesterfield (couch) by the Bullerjan (wood stove). its going to come fast enough don't rush it eh!!
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

Quote Originally Posted by Kh7722 View Post
    There is no sense in worrying about it, we cant help the weather one way or another. All it does is create unneeded stress. Make the most of and
    Kevin
    We can’t help the weather, but can we help the climate?
    60ish taps on buckets
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    Turbo RB15 RO Bucket

Thanks for the thoughts, But I am not worrying about it at all. The post wasn't meant as an emotional plea (I guess I shouldn't of said panic or fear), just a thought and an update of what my season was looking like. I'm usually well ahead of you northern guys and most years my season is close to what you can expect later. That's not always true, but more than not. Heck if season ended right now I'd clean up and move on to the next thing and never look back. Just about time to get the fishing rods out again....now that's some important stuff there.
    125-150 taps
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

You pretty much described TN maple weather. Anytime after 2/15 it can just turn spring on you and next thing you know , trees are budding and its over. Been flowing really good here!!!

Yep. The first day we get back above freezing here according to Accuweather is the 24th and then we do see a few 40's. The weather stays about like that through the second week of March. After the 12th, we don't get another night below 30 until the 27th. That's a long way out to be accurately predicting anything though. It could all look different tomorrow. Hopefully, this will be the first year I gather sap in April.
    RC Maple

14X14 sugarhouse - new for 2012
    RO Bucket - RB10 - New for 2019
    2x3 barrel evaporator with continuous flow pan
    55 taps - most on buckets
    This is next year!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast