+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nw wisconsin 2021

Default Nw wisconsin 2021

I'm going to start a new thread this year. Right now it's -1 outside but it's got me getting ready. I'll be picking up my supplies next week and then things start moving, slowly but moving. I'm hopping for a normal season this year. I just turned 70 the beginning of Jan and with the helpers I have I'm the youngest. All friends that volunteer, we tap 400 trees with pails. We have fun doing it and it gives us all something to do that time of year. Let me know what's happening with you and yours this year.
    400 pails
    CDL RO machine
    2x8 stainless Dallaire evaporator, wood fired
    Filter press
    Polaris 6x6 & 4x4
    Allis Chalmers WD
    Allis Chalmers G
    Built new 24' x 40' shack in 2006
    http://www.blsugarbush.com

I'm 74, and I am in the middle of New York State. I also have about 400 taps (this year and the previous 2). I am the old guy, I get help from my 7 yr younger brother in law and one of my sons (and his significant other) at times. We try to keep it fun.
    The most pails I ever did was about 120. Now all of my taps are on tubing and high vacuum and the sap all flows to the sugarhouse. My high vacuum (26-27") is by using a vacuum pump that is likely older than I am, it is a BB4, a piston dairy pump by Babson Bros, who later became Alamo.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Dave tapping must be what's keeping us going. Three years ago my wife and I did it all alone. I'll probably stop doing it when I can't handle pails, I just don't think I could stand looking at them lines all over the place. Nothing wrong with them, just not for me. Keep going though, my hat's off to you!!!!!!
    400 pails
    CDL RO machine
    Filter press
    Polaris 6x6 & 4x4
    Allis Chalmers WD
    Allis Chalmers G

I have kept my old flat pan, buckets and sugar house. Some day I will go back to them.
    3500 taps, vacuum.

3500 taps will keep you busy
    400 pails
    CDL RO machine
    Filter press
    Polaris 6x6 & 4x4
    Allis Chalmers WD
    Allis Chalmers G

I agree Brad, time to get our ducks in a row. I always try to be ready to go by the last weekend of February. It takes me 2 weeks to get everything tapped, and leaks fixed. Last year we made syrup the end of February.
    Doesn't feel like it right now though. We had 27 below this morning. Like my daughter said once when she was little..."Dad, why do we live where the air hurts?"

I am getting stuff squared away in the sugar house so when the Birkie is done, we start drilling.
    Jeff Emerson
    www.emersonsmaplehill.com
    3x12 Leader with over air, custom piggyback, 600gph CDL RO
    2500 on 25" vacuum
    350 4 wheeler, 500 snowmobile, and 1950's Ford 600 tractor, Husqvarna! (261, 372xpBigBore, 562xp), Stihl MS193 for in tree work

I plan to start tapping right after this cold spell.
    3500 taps, vacuum.

Like Jeff I'll wait to after the Birke
    400 pails
    CDL RO machine
    Filter press
    Polaris 6x6 & 4x4
    Allis Chalmers WD
    Allis Chalmers G

Well, its Birkie week! With the 10 day forecast showing most days above freezing I am starting to tap.
    Everything is still frozen, no real welling around the tree bases, but I think in 7 days or so we could be getting sap.
    I will focus on being ready with 1/2 of my woods in the next week, then moving to the colder side after that. Snow is about as deep as my muck boots. but soft, so no snowshoes needed this year.
    Everything I am putting in now is with Check Valves, to help buy me time doing this early tapping.

Anyone know what there is for frost in the woods in the NW part of Wisconsin? My guess is about a foot, but its just a guess. Time to get after it!
    Jeff Emerson
    www.emersonsmaplehill.com
    3x12 Leader with over air, custom piggyback, 600gph CDL RO
    2500 on 25" vacuum
    350 4 wheeler, 500 snowmobile, and 1950's Ford 600 tractor, Husqvarna! (261, 372xpBigBore, 562xp), Stihl MS193 for in tree work

I will finish tapping tomorrow. Most taps are running. I might start to ro tomorrow
    3500 taps, vacuum.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast